General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to Get Rid of Smell of Gear Oil Out of The Car?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Get Rid of Smell of Gear Oil Out of The Car?

Hey everyone,

Just last Tuesday I decided to take off the differential cover to add a gasket. When I added everything back on, including the new oil and took everything out of the car that smelled like gear oil and it still smells like it. It did NOT spill anywhere that I can think of.

I have seen some spots of the exhaust covered with stains of gear oil (from me constantly touching the exhaust) I don't know if it could be that or something else? I added about 12 little trees of black ice and it still does not eliminate the odor, I sprayed fabreeze and it only works for about 1-1/2 at the most. I get in the car after spraying febreeze or adding black ice and it still smells like gear oil mixed with the air fresheners.

Only thing I can honestly think of is pressure washing the whole underneath of the car mainly the exhaust from where I've been touching last week.

Any Ideas? The smell is very unbariable and I feel noxious.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It goes away eventually - I've spilled trans fluid on my carpet when pouring it in, and it will stink for a little bit, but just air it out and it should be fine. If it is on the exhaust, you would smell it but it should burn off...go behind yourself and wipe everything down to make sure. Gear oil is pretty putrid (specifically old gear oil).
Old 07-28-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

if you've run the car the gear oil is now baked onto the exhaust and will take a while to disperse.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

take some dryer sheets and put them under the seats.

or you can take a crown royal bag and fill it with unscented potpourri than spray your favorite cologne on it and it will absorb that smell.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
It goes away eventually - I've spilled trans fluid on my carpet when pouring it in, and it will stink for a little bit, but just air it out and it should be fine. If it is on the exhaust, you would smell it but it should burn off...go behind yourself and wipe everything down to make sure. Gear oil is pretty putrid (specifically old gear oil).
You're right. Each day that passes, it smells less and less like gear oil. Now, I can smell just a little bit of it but no where near how it smelled last week or last weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Get Rid of Smell of Gear Oil Out of The Car?