General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

(trans. cooler lines) to cut or not to cut....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (trans. cooler lines) to cut or not to cut....

car is a 01 formula. i am in the midst of replacing my rear main seal and i am at the point where i need to remove the transmission. but i'm stuck on the 2 "e" clips that hold the transmission cooler lines in at the transmission. i've tried but can't even get it trying to come off. why not cut the lines at the straight point upon removal and then use hoses and clamps to re-install? it would be a helluva lot easier than messing with those stupid clips this time and for the future. or is it better to remove the lines via the nut connections? i heard it's very hard to line the threads back up if you remove this way. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails (trans. cooler lines) to cut or not to cut....-20160413_192713.jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

You can just remove the nuts if you want then pull the E clips off and pull the line out. Then put the fittings back in with the E clip.
With the E clips already in, push the transmission line in and they will snap right in when you are installing the transmission back in
Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
You can just remove the nuts if you want then pull the E clips off and pull the line out. Then put the fittings back in with the E clip.
With the E clips already in, push the transmission line in and they will snap right in when you are installing the transmission back in
yeah that sounds do-able. thanks bud. i'll try that def before cutting anything.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

You could also remove everything and go with -An fittings and steel braided lines
Old 04-15-2016, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

DO NOT CUT THOSE LINES UNLESS YOU INTEND TO REPLACE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

Those lines are made of metal for a reason, they carry ALOT of pressure and I made the mistake of cutting mine and clamping a rubber hose to reconnect it, the second I got on the interstate it coughed that clamp and hose like it was gum and spewed ALL of my transmission fluid onto the interstate getting me stranded on the shoulder. FORTUNATELY my transmission survived.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
DO NOT CUT THOSE LINES UNLESS YOU INTEND TO REPLACE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

Those lines are made of metal for a reason, they carry ALOT of pressure and I made the mistake of cutting mine and clamping a rubber hose to reconnect it, the second I got on the interstate it coughed that clamp and hose like it was gum and spewed ALL of my transmission fluid onto the interstate getting me stranded on the shoulder. FORTUNATELY my transmission survived.
wow....thanks man...i just figured bc if you follow the line forward to the radiator it has a normal hose and clamp before it is mounted to the cooler......glad you didnt F up your tranny.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by notnilc20
wow....thanks man...i just figured bc if you follow the line forward to the radiator it has a normal hose and clamp before it is mounted to the cooler......glad you didnt F up your tranny.
If its stock, there's no clamp, the hose is built into the line. attempting to put a standard clamp on that line is asking for trouble, it is somewhere between 60 and 90 PSI iirc. Normal clamp wont hold that. I know some have gotten away with fuel hose clamps but for my piece of mind (after I lost my trans fluid) I went with AN Fittings and brand new lines. Wasn't cheap but I never got stranded again and my 200k + mile A4 trans still works

Quick Reply: (trans. cooler lines) to cut or not to cut....