General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

BAD BAD NEWS for the TA

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I have a 96 Chevy Z71 that I used to pull a 22 foot enclosed trailer, The lower radiator hose popped off while towing up and down steep hills at 65mph. By the time I realized I had a problem the gauge was already pegged. Took a good 20 minutes for it to cool down enough to take water without blowing it right back out of the radiator, It got so hot that it started melting the plastic air intake box that sits on the throttle body. That was about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. I would have ran the monte until it blew but it was my daily driver so I wanted to fix it on my terms rather than get stuck with nothing to drive.
HAHA! I hear ya....my first car was a 1970 Camaro with a 283 and i ran it 1 time from myrtle Beach SC back to Charlotte, NC with NO oil in it and it made it. the car lasted after that for about a year til a totaled it...the motor never let go

Originally Posted by Ls1Ryan2002
If you haven't made the purchase yet, check out RockAuto. It's a reliable sight that sells things very cheap compared to parts stores. It's a 4.2 star review and I have ordered quite a few parts off there myself and they are great. Just a heads up trying to save another guy some money. Goodluck and hope you get your car back on the road soon.
yeah i did....I already ordered from Summit I needed to get 6 quarts of VR1 oil too so I said **** it.
I guess I have a reason to change the oil too.

thanks for the info though. Im gonna try and fix it all this weekend but its bike week here for the next 10 days and i get to work it this year.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I finally!! found the time with work and stuff to fixing the OPSU
after putting the new one in and filling with some new VR1 oil and new filter engine sounds fine.
1 issue.....my tach doesnt work anymore. I did a search and have been reading the crank trigger
which i know is located right behind the intake.
do you think it got oil soaked?
Im gonna pull it all back apart again this weekend

but whats your thought?
what should i look for?

one think i did notice it was hard to start this afternoon....like took multiple turns of the motor to fire.

let me know

thanks!
Old 06-17-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok i drove it to the nearest AZ...which is only 1 mile from house and they pulled codes for me.

P0103 and P0342

I dunno why im getting the P0103 cause im SD and have been for about a year and took it to Tick to have them remove that code from the ECU

I guess my Cam Sensor went bad cause of being oil soaked?

guess i'll take it all apart again and replace the CS.......and if anything else goes wrong im gonna throw this car in the dumpster down the street.

blowing up my OPSU caused all this or just coincidence?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you SURE that you plugged the cam position sensor connector back into the sensor (and that the contacts were good?) when you put everything back together??

If so, then yes, the sensor is toast, and they are not that costly, but I would stick with an actual GM/AC Delco/Delphi sensor over the Vato Zone specials, or Standard Parts/etc. ones.

Yes, your stock, cluster tach will NOT work without a signal being picked up from that cam position sensor, and it will take many cranks/tries to start without it as well (ask me how I know this).
Old 06-17-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

almost 100% sure...I wouldnt have had a reason to disconnect it.
but anything is possible.
I was able to reach back there and feel the sensor plug and it seems plugged in.

just my luck for all this to happen.
blow the oPSU and the CPS takes a dump at the same time.

its got a weather plug on it so i dont see oil getting in but that is possible too.

I dont have a choice but to use the VATO ****

yeah and it took many cranks to fire when i was in the AZ parking lot and backfired once.

my fuel is way! rich too....atleast thats what my wideband says....it read 20.00 at times when idling.

whys that?

thanks for getting back to me!

oh how do you know!....lol!
Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i found the problem. I remember now when i blew my intake months ago...my CPS connector housing was broken to pieces so i remember taping it real well with Electrical tape and never had a problem since.

well after popping my OPSU and having it dump and spray oil all over behind my intake.
the connector to the CPS was oil soaked ....after removing the tape there was oil all over it.
I dunno why I didnt check it when i had it apart the other day! ..UGH!!!!!

SO! im gonna get a new connector but wondering if i should switch out the CPS?

whatcha think?

oh...I can get a new connector on the BAY for $8.00 or $24.00 at the ZONE

REALLY!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I said fuckit! and got the parts! from AZ I want this bitch running!

Quick Reply: BAD BAD NEWS for the TA