General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

If the car sits overnight/several hrs, it won't crank!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry If the car sits overnight/several hrs, it won't crank!!

I thought it was a simple bad battery. Had old battery tested & it would not take a charge. Fine, replaced that with new & good to go for a couple days. Then it starts not even cranking if it sits overnight or so. Sometimes the gauges also go crazy when I'm trying to start the car.

I then replace the alternator & I am still having the issue. I swapped the relays under the hood & that changed nothing. I checked all fuses as well. I also pulled the starter relay & jumped that. Starter works fine. I disconnected the negative cable from the battery hoping that would solve things for now, but nope! Dead the next day again.

I can get the car started again every time with either a jump or charging the battery, but it will go right back to not cranking the next day.

What should be causing this? It's an LS1 f-body fyi.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Did you check the charge on the battery (with a multi-meter, etc.) before you disconnected the negative cable? If the battery was already low on charge prior to disconnecting it, then you know you have a charging issue rather than a drain (although I guess you could still possibly have both issues.)
Old 06-17-2016, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

something is draining the battery... loose cable somewhere, bad switch, something not shutting off like it should... etc etc.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
something is draining the battery... loose cable somewhere, bad switch, something not shutting off like it should... etc etc.
That's what I'm thinking, but where do I start?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Stick a test light between the ground post and the ground cable on the battery. If there is a draw it should be lit up nice and bright. Next start pulling and replacing fuses one by one until that light dims or goes out. If the light only dims then you likely have more than one circuit causing issues. Once you know the circuit the problem is on you can get a wiring diagram and dig deeper.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Don't rule out your new battery just yet. I went through two duralast gold batts that tested fine at the store, but neither would hold a charge. Sitting on the bench with my meter attached they would lose 100th of a volt every few seconds. Picked up a Duracell branded East Penn battery a few months ago and even after sitting for two weeks she starts right up.

Also check your grounds - https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...s1-f-body.html My ground strap from behind the alternator had rusted through and was just hanging.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Camaro-Z28
That's what I'm thinking, but where do I start?
You said this issue occurred even when the battery was disconnected. So again, have you verified that it's fully charged immediately after engine shutdown?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You said this issue occurred even when the battery was disconnected.

Whoops guess I missed that part, yeah if the battery is disconnected from the car overnight and still creates a hard start there is definitely something wrong with said battery.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67Lark
Whoops guess I missed that part, yeah if the battery is disconnected from the car overnight and still creates a hard start there is definitely something wrong with said battery.
This battery is brand new. It did this same thing with the old battery too.

I just did a parasitic draw test & the whole time my meter was reading around 12.4. So that can't be right. At any rate, I pulled every fuse & none of them made any difference to the meter reading.

I now have both the negative AND positive terminals, vs just the negative last time, disconnected from the battery so we'll see if the car will start tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You said this issue occurred even when the battery was disconnected. So again, have you verified that it's fully charged immediately after engine shutdown?
Yes.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This battery is brand new. It did this same thing with the old battery too.

I just did a parasitic draw test & the whole time my meter was reading around 12.4. So that can't be right. At any rate, I pulled every fuse & none of them made any difference to the meter reading.

I now have both the negative AND positive terminals, vs just the negative last time, disconnected from the battery so we'll see if the car will start tomorrow.
You didn't do the test right. During a parasitic draw test you dont read voltage. Also, there is no way any power can be taken once a terminal is removed. Removing both is silly, and a waste of time.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You didn't do the test right. During a parasitic draw test you dont read voltage. Also, there is no way any power can be taken once a terminal is removed. Removing both is silly, and a waste of time.

01ss is correct, by using a TEST LIGHT, you are checking for amperage draw, not voltage. Do not use a meter, just an old school $5 incandescent bulbed test light.

It will look like this picture. http://honda-tech.com/attachments/te...5D-car-143.jpg

And remember, there is likely more than one fuse box in your car so you must check all of them.

But as you had previously said if it still causes issues with the cable unhooked overnight then there is no way for a draw to be made on the battery so they battery itself must be DOA
Old 06-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Teching In

01ss is correct, by using a TEST LIGHT, you are checking for amperage draw, not voltage. Do not use a meter, just an old school $5 incandescent bulbed test light.

It will look like this picture. http://honda-tech.com/attachments/te...5D-car-143.jpg

And remember, there is likely more than one fuse box in your car so you must check all of them.

But as you had previously said if it still causes issues with the cable unhooked overnight then there is no way for a draw to be made on the battery so they battery itself must be DOA
Right, pulling both cables will tell me if this new battery is bad. I already have a test light. I guess I will do it again with that instead this weekend.

I followed this video to do the test. So he's wrong?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yes.
What was battery voltage showing, at the battery, at that time?

Also, there is no way any power can be taken once a terminal is removed. Removing both is silly, and a waste of time.
Absolutely correct. If you are disconnecting the negative terminal of a fully charged, healthy battery it will NOT discharge to the point of a no crank condition overnight - regardless of what sort of draw might be present when the battery is fully connected. This I know from experience.

Agreed as well.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Right, pulling both cables will tell me if this new battery is bad. I already have a test light. I guess I will do it again with that instead this weekend.

I followed this video to do the test. So he's wrong?
How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

You can use a meter as Eric has done, but you have to use it correctly, he was using the ammeter side of the meter where as when you were testing and getting 12.4 the whole time I have to guess your meter was set on the voltage side so this is where your testing faulted.

But at the same time it's a lot easier and quicker to watch if a light goes dim/out then have to focus on a screen and see if the numbers have changed.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Teching In

I just tested with the test light & no change to the test light's light on any fuse being pulled.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Is it lit up bright the whole time?
Old 06-18-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

battery.................
Old 06-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Is it lit up bright the whole time?
Yes. Maybe because it has an LED & not a normal bulb?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:26 PM
Teching In

battery.................
Nope, new battery is not the problem. I left the battery completely disconnected overnight & when I hooked it up today, the car started right up.

Quick Reply: If the car sits overnight/several hrs, it won't crank!!