General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Never starts first try, always starts second try, why?

Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never starts first try, always starts second try, why?

Hi all, I have a 99 ls1 camaro, from a cold start, it never starts first try, no matter how long you turn it. But second try, boom! It starts in a millisecond.

I've done the tune up with iridium plugs, new wires. Always put 93 gas. Even dumped fuel treatments in. New air filter. Even put brand new maf sensor. Replaced fuel pump that was in the tank, both in tank and inline filters.

She runs like a champ when she on, and when she's hot she turns on first time. But from cold she never fires up first try. Not a big issue, just irritating and embarrassing at times.

Any advise guys? Oh and she has 156k miles.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say cranks fine on a hot start is that with the car being off for 5 minutes or an hour? Try this on a cold start, prime the fuel system twice before trying to crank the car. When I say prime I mean do a key on and listen for the fuel pump then repeat (key on for 3 seconds should be enough, you can hear the fuel pump). Does it fire right up now? If so it might be your fuel pressure regulator going.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through this but it was much worse. I ended up dropping the tank and pulling the pump assembly out a little and keying over the pump. Turns out the clamp at the top of the in tank hose was loose and leaking fuel. PITA since I replaced the pump and FPR. I got it back together and the FPR was leaking so I am in the process of installing an external FPR.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Went through this but it was much worse. I ended up dropping the tank and pulling the pump assembly out a little and keying over the pump. Turns out the clamp at the top of the in tank hose was loose and leaking fuel. PITA since I replaced the pump and FPR. I got it back together and the FPR was leaking so I am in the process of installing an external FPR.
Happen to have any pics of what your talking about. I am interested in what you're talking about. I've never had the tank dropped and seen inside. Would be nice to know exactly what to look for when I do the trap door MOD soon.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Happen to have any pics of what your talking about. I am interested in what you're talking about. I've never had the tank dropped and seen inside. Would be nice to know exactly what to look for when I do the trap door MOD soon.
I highly doubt the FPR is your problem. If you replaced your fuel pump, it comes in an assembly (unless you went aftermarket) and thus your FPR was also replaced by default. Also you were having this problem before you changed them both.

Change your coolant temperature sensor (I'm not kidding) - When these go bad they will cause issues with starting your car. Mine did the exact same thing as in it would turn and turn and turn on first crank, and then crank right up on second crank. It was the coolant temp sensor. If you don't believe me, unplug the cable from your sensor, I guarantee you, your car will NOT start.

It works with the MAF, IAT and PCM to determine how much fuel to send the engine and when it gets bad readings, or isnt working at all, you won't beable to crank your car.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I highly doubt the FPR is your problem. If you replaced your fuel pump, it comes in an assembly (unless you went aftermarket) and thus your FPR was also replaced by default. Also you were having this problem before you changed them both.

Change your coolant temperature sensor (I'm not kidding) - When these go bad they will cause issues with starting your car. Mine did the exact same thing as in it would turn and turn and turn on first crank, and then crank right up on second crank. It was the coolant temp sensor. If you don't believe me, unplug the cable from your sensor, I guarantee you, your car will NOT start.

It works with the MAF, IAT and PCM to determine how much fuel to send the engine and when it gets bad readings, or isnt working at all, you won't beable to crank your car.
Did your hard starting only occur when the car was cold or did it also do this on a warm start?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
Did your hard starting only occur when the car was cold or did it also do this on a warm start?
Mainly on cold starts but occasionally warm starts every once in awhile but I had to leave it off for atleast 15 minutes before the issue recurred and that was during the winter season. The coolant gauge was still working fine too.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by excellegions
Replaced fuel pump that was in the tank [...]
I missed this the first time I read your post. Did you use a GM pump when you replaced yours?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Mainly on cold starts but occasionally warm starts every once in awhile but I had to leave it off for atleast 15 minutes before the issue recurred and that was during the winter season.
So my guess is if the sensor is bad or unplugged the car is programmed for a warm start, less fuel is dispensed.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
So my guess is if the sensor is bad or unplugged the car is programmed for a warm start, less fuel is dispensed.
I don't know if the car is programmed for anything, more less I believe it is looking for a signal / reading and when it cant get it, or gets an inaccurate reading it doesn't know how to properly compensate fuel.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Just put the tank back in last night and hadn't seen this post. It is a PIA to drop the tank. I'm lucky, I have a union in the exhaust pipe just before it goes over the axle. Pulled the sway bar and shocks then dropped the axle so there is enough room. Support the tank and spin the ring off the top of the fuel pump assembly then key over the pump to see if there is anything leaking.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Faulty anti-drainback valve. It isnt keeping the rails pressurized.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Faulty anti-drainback valve. It isnt keeping the rails pressurized.

Pretty common, my 98 needs to have about 3 chimes after I turn the key to start in order to prime the pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never starts first try, always starts second try, why?