General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low Idle RPM and Battery Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low Idle RPM and Battery Gauge

I've been having problems with my 2002 T/A for a few weeks now and I'm not sure which component is causing the issue. The RPM's will dip and idle at 500 (It's always been 800 before this started) whenever the engine is idling. My A/C get's weaker, and my battery gauge dips into the orange and wiggles back and forth a little. A few times, changing from high rpm's to neutral has even caused it to dip below 500 and stall.

I found a temporary solution to the problem that stopped working today. Turning the A/C off for a few seconds then back on after starting the car made it drive normally for a day or so, but then it would be back the next day. I have NO idea why this would work, but now I'm thinking the problem could be A/C related too.

So I think it's either:
  • A/C Belt - Never been changed, 123k on the car.
  • A/C Compressor/Clutch - Never been replaced.
  • Alternator - Never been replaced.
  • Battery - About 4-5 years old, not bloated.
  • Fuel Pump - I've had a similar problem to this over the years when my fuel tank was low that I attributed to this. Never fixed it since it came and went randomly. Fuel Pump Never Replaced.
  • Parasitic draw somewhere, although I haven't had to jump it yet.

Any insight would be very appreciated. I have never seen an issue like this on either of my T/A's.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This sounds electrical to me. It shouldn't be the battery - it gets the car started and then the alternator takes over from there.

I'd start by looking for loose wires, terminals, or corrosion on terminals. Sometimes stuff like this goes away with loose or corroded wires when things get warm and metal expands.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey OP, ever find the culprit?

My '01 Z28 is doing the same thing. On mine the alternator doesn't put out any voltage til just a hair of pressure is placed on the gas pedal. Have to put gear in neutral and slightly stay on gas to keep RPMs up at stop lights so A/C stays on. A/C compressor kicks off once the battery voltage drops to around 9V. Mine idles around 500 RPM as well.

Usually have to turn A/C off and rev the engine a bit before shutting down the car to charge up the battery so I don't need a jump the next morning. My hokey system works, but is super annoying.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the issue turned out to be a few things. First of all, my battery connection was loose. Second, The battery was dying. And third, the a/c belt did need to be changed. I can't remember what fixed it specifically though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries man. I got it working back to normal now.

Ended up being a dirty fuel filter. I changed it maybe 10k-15k miles ago, figured it wouldn't be a problem. Must have got bad gas somewhere (damn CA desert). Changed it out and looked like mud coming out the aft end of it. RPMs at idle are back to 650, and no more charging issues. Couldn't believe it was something so simple. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future.

Quick Reply: Low Idle RPM and Battery Gauge