General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas Tank Straps / Filler neck very low

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Straps / Filler neck very low

I noticed the gas filler neck is very low, it looks like it's pinned against the body instead of centered in the hole. Do the straps on these cars tend to have issues?

I purchased the TSP catback and would like to check or swap the straps while the muffler is out. Can the straps be replaced 1 at a time with a jack and block of wood under the gas tank or does the tank have to come out to remove the hook side of the straps?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I've never had any issues with sagging filler necks or tanks on any of mine, nor have I heard of any such issues to date. However, if the tank was ever dropped for a fuel pump swap then the filler neck could have been bent during the process - that would be the most common reason in my experience.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've never had any issues with sagging filler necks or tanks on any of mine, nor have I heard of any such issues to date. However, if the tank was ever dropped for a fuel pump swap then the filler neck could have been bent during the process - that would be the most common reason in my experience.

I'll pull the heat shield and check it out this weekend. It just seemed like something wasn't right when I saw the filler neck.

Any chance, do you know if 1 strap can be fully removed and replaced with the tank still in or does the tank have to come all the way out to hook the bar end?

Edit: The straps seemed fine, I couldn't push the gas tank up any higher. It must have just been the filler neck bent.

Last edited by Genhero; 10-26-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Straps / Filler neck very low