General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low Coolant Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant Light

I'm a proud owner of a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7 I've been driving the car to my father's every week which is 2 hours away with no problems. I hit a turtle a few weeks ago..🙁 I was following too close to the car ahead of me.

A week ago my car started throwing a low coolant light. I checked my radiator and resevoir for coolant loss and everything was full. A few days after I inspected my low coolant sensor I wiggled the sensor and it fell out into pieces in my hand. I bought a new sensor from oreilys the same day and it took me 3 hours to push the damn thing into the radiator. I hear it's easy to push the sensor in but not for me I had to fight it. I attached 2 pictures of where the sensor goes.

The coolant light still comes on. I flushed the radiator and I add new coolant. I bled the air out the best I could for a few days. I still see bubbles coming out of the radiator. The light used to come on as soon as I start the car but now it will come on after letting the car warm up a bit and sometimes the light won't come on at all untill I turn the car off and start it back up...wierd

I noticed a very small leak on the heater core hose assembly that connects to the metal fitting by the top bleeder screw is nothing major but still not good. I believe it's the hose that brings coolant into the heater core. Could it be bringing air into the system causing the low coolant light to come on? I wrapped some electrical tape around the hose...im going to buy a new hose assembly tommorow.

My fans work as they are suppose to.

6 months ago i had my mechanic install the following...

New radiator (Previous radiator was filled with orange gunk)
New water pump (Leaked water out the weap hole into my distributor)
New thermostat
New distributor

Thank you everyone!

Last edited by Michael Tinnin; 07-26-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Low Coolant Light