General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

96 z28 T56 overheated

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 z28 T56 overheated

Today in the morning before I left to work I decided to add coolant to my car, drove it for about 9 miles and my car started overheating past the red line because I was in traffic then I safely parked on the side. I pop to the hood and I forgot to close the radiator back. There was coolant boiling out of the radiator all over. =( I let the car cool off and I added water to it waited for about and hour added more water and then i drove it off.

Right now on my lunch I drove it to get some food and the temperature was below half but I felt the car running funny and there was also coolant leaking where I was parked, could this be a possible bad head gasket? Any idea on what it could be that is making my car run funny and leaking coolant?

Sorry if my post is long, I could not find an answer online so i thought I might make a thread.

THANK YOU!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny??? What are the exact symptoms?

Where is it leaking from.....what area of the engine bay? (Below the right front headlight area?)

Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a 96, while the car is not running, open up both bleeder screws. The fluid level will likely drop. Leave the screws open and top off, once the level stays full, close the screws. Should get you in some sort of better direction.

There is one bleeder in the area of the top water pump inlet and one in the hose, can't miss them. The one in the water pump sometimes likes to break off depending on age, and I use a very large blade flathead on the hose bleeder. The hose one seems more important in the bleeding process.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Funny??? What are the exact symptoms?

Where is it leaking from.....what area of the engine bay? (Below the right front headlight area?)

I was at a stop light and the car turned off on my automatically and I also have to hold the key a little longer on the crank so it can start up.

Yes is it coming from around that area. And the more I throttle the car the more that comes out.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Have you done any sort of work lately also where you unhooked the hoses? If you get the two small hoses in the wrong positions on the passenger side of the radiator, the car will also overheat. I saw that occur once on a LT1 car. Getting the steam pipe hose and overflow hose reversed.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Have you done any sort of work lately also where you unhooked the hoses? If you get the two small hoses in the wrong positions on the passenger side of the radiator, the car will also overheat. I saw that occur once on a LT1 car. Getting the steam pipe hose and overflow hose reversed.
I just had a full time up maybe two weeks ago, these are the parts that were installed. (New spark plugs and wires, new fuel filter, new air filter, new belt, new thermostat and a brand new distributor.)

i did notice the hoseing in my car looked a little different from before.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Well has your issue been resolved?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Well has your issue been resolved?
Nope is still leaking coolant. :/
Old 03-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to get the engine up to full operating temp....put the front end up on ramps. Get under it with a flashlight and wait for the leak to start.......Also, wait about 15 minutes after you shut the engine off because pressure and heat will rise.....pushing the coolant out of the leak.

Might be your coolant level sensor leaking, a crack in the plastic tank, your over-flow tank could also be getting coolant pushed into it and its leaking from it.

You can also go get a pressure tester......see if that pushes coolant out of the leak.

A bad radiator cap can cause the coolant to fill your over-flow tank. Or if those two lines have been accidentally switched....

Quick Reply: 96 z28 T56 overheated