General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust hitting body of the car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Exhaust hitting body of the car.

I'm not sure if it's hitting the floor board or the metal bar on the bottom. I was speaking with somebody who had a similar issue and this is what he did. What would be the best product to use and can anybody improve on this?
Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First find out where its actually hitting at. Get under the car and wiggle the exhaust all around and see where it rubs.
Judging by the picture Id be really surprised if that exhaust was hitting the upper panhard brace, it shouldn't move anywhere near that much to hit something that far away.
A cheap and easy band aid is to put a thick rubber heater hose on where its rubbing. You can also see if you can modify any exhaust hangers to get the exhaust away from what its hitting.
Ideally you probably want to run poly motor mounts so the engine wont move therefore the exhaust wont move.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ was going to ask if OP has done MM's recently.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you very much for the reply's. I will bring it to my exhaust shop b/c I have no access to a lift & I am smart enough to know I am not mechanically inclined to repair it lol. The heater hose is a great idea if need be. I do have oe motor mounts, I thought the poly parts have much more vibration? I thought the crashing was the exhaust but it could be something else. Rear shocks are Bilstein's, sway bar, bump stops & lca bushings are fairly new.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Thank you very much for the reply's. I will bring it to my exhaust shop b/c I have no access to a lift & I am smart enough to know I am not mechanically inclined to repair it lol. The heater hose is a great idea if need be.
Unless you know the guys personally or can watch them work on it I would avoid shops, especially with custom work like this.
Do yourself a favor and buy some race ramps, you will love them for working under the car and oil changes.
You could probably pretty easily get under the back of the car without any lift or anything and atleast wiggle the exhaust and see if its rubbing/hitting there.

I do have oe motor mounts, I thought the poly parts have much more vibration? I thought the crashing was the exhaust but it could be something else. Rear shocks are Bilstein's, sway bar, bump stops & lca bushings are fairly new.
Surprisingly poly motor mounts have very little vibration and its only at idle and predominantly when the car is cold, I also have a mild heads/cam car so mine will vibrate more than a stock cam car, which I would image wouldn't really vibrate at all. Im really picky about those kind of things and I avoided the poly mounts for a while because of it but its definitely a non issue. Well worth it IMO, the install was terrible but the results were great.
When did you start noticing this? After installing all of that?
What kind of LCA bushings did you go with?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car stays in a communal garage in NYC so even if I could work on the bottom there is no space and it's pretty nasty. I do have a place I trust who work on the fleet of 40 vans get serviced at one of my my jobs. Yes, I can watch and they have worked on it before.

I think I bought Moog lca bushings. As soon as the weather gets nice in the Northeast my plan is to install a UMI pan-hard bar & long torque arm. Thankfully my motor mounts are ok for now lol.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have solid mounts and a cam, there is little to no vibration. You can definitely feel the starter kick out and turn the car over though lol.

Solid and poly mounts are fine, but I would have a hard time saying they are a worth while mod. If your old mounts are busted you can upgrade to them, but it'd even harder to talk yourself back into a rubber mount once a mod is done
Old 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know ty.

Quick Reply: Exhaust hitting body of the car.