General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant overflow hardline

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant overflow hardline

Im in the process of a motor mount install and the car is getting multiple other upgrades, after removing the battery i found massive corrosion on the hardline for the coolant overflow tank, looks like the dam thing was dipped in batter and coated with flour, must of had a leaking battery. Anyways, i can find the line online however is there recomended aftermarket tank setups that i could drop in instead? Ive heard its a PITA to get that hardline out and given that mine is a chia pet of white powder and corrosion ( the bolt holding the battery tray in litteraly fell off and was dissolved to almost nothing) im wondering if ill even be able to get it out at all.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,059 Posts

You can still get an OE/OE-style replacement tank no problem, so that's an easy fix.

The grommet for that hard pipe is the difficult piece to get. They've been gone for years now, I tried to get one from GM back in 2013 and had zero luck even then. I don't think the aftermarket has reproduced this grommet yet. I had to find a PCV grommet from the "Help!" section at a local auto parts store to do the job (it was for some kind of Ford, don't remember exactly what.) It wasn't a perfect interference fit like stock, so if you go this route it needs to be glued down. Not a big deal since there shouldn't ever be pressure in the tank. Or, you might get lucky and be able to reuse the original/find one used from a car being parted out.

The battery hold down bolt is also difficult to get, from what I've been told. wssix99 once posted a good source to get these bolts from, but I don't have the link handy at the moment.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heres the damage, like i said its bad. The battery tray bolt is bad but intact, the coolant tank bolt is the one that dissolved, its in the 3rd image. I dont think theres any salvaging this tank's grommet.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I see nothing here that's too terribly frightening. Baking soda should help clean up and neutralize any acid that's still hanging around.

The coolant tank looks salvageable, depending on what happens as the acid is cleaned off. The hard part to replace is the hold-down bracket. That part breaks often, so if you get a new tank, you'll want to hold on to that bracket. (I'm can't remember if the new tanks even come with a new hold-down bracket or, not.)

Here's the thread on how to replace that discontinued hold-down bolt: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-t-remove.html
Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just an observation.....maybe its just the way the picture looks.

But your lower radiator hose looks like it might be bulging....the last picture. Might want to check to see if it feels mushy or soft and sticky. Cheap to change....and get two new worm type clamps for each end. Check the upper hose while you're at it.....

My over-flow coolant tray looked just like yours....sanded it all down real good and primer painted it, then spray painted it red. Not a big deal. They also sell them on ebay...brand new with the metal line.

I took my factory rubber hose off and bought a new 3/8" piece of heater hose and clamped it to the metal line, popped it all back in. Looks like you just might have to sand all that crap off the metal line first......

Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the lookout on the bulging, im going to replace any hoses and lines that could use it while shes up on jacks for now anyway.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I took my factory rubber hose off and bought a new 3/8" piece of heater hose and clamped it to the metal line, popped it all back in. Looks like you just might have to sand all that crap off the metal line first......
Thank you for this thread usnfenix. I am likewise replacing all hoses as part of my rebuild for preventative maintenance. I suggest swapping in a new heater core while you are at it, if you have ever had any heater issues.

I ordered this overflow rubber hose from Rockauto.com, but it turned out to be the wrong part. I think I will cut off the old one at the metal crimp like you did LS6427, and band clamp a new one on. I just have to find a similar pre-bent piece to use. That is really the last of the old cooling system bits, although I will keep the old overflow tank, as it is in fine shape otherwise.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Thank you for this thread usnfenix. I am likewise replacing all hoses as part of my rebuild for preventative maintenance. I suggest swapping in a new heater core while you are at it, if you have ever had any heater issues.

I ordered this overflow rubber hose from Rockauto.com, but it turned out to be the wrong part. I think I will cut off the old one at the metal crimp like you did LS6427, and band clamp a new one on. I just have to find a similar pre-bent piece to use. That is really the last of the old cooling system bits, although I will keep the old overflow tank, as it is in fine shape otherwise.
No need for a pre-bent hose....just use 3/8" heater hose, it bends just fine.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up ordering a replacement tank with good condition hardline, after scrubbing away the grommet and line were in to bad of shape for re-use. Only spent 30 bucks on ebay and got a whole new tank with tray and line.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Honestly I didn't see anything alarming in those photos... Most F-Body's look like that with the battery removed.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

it was in rough shape after the powder was removed, the battery that was there before had a leak and did its damage over time.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
it was in rough shape after the powder was removed, the battery that was there before had a leak and did its damage over time.
Its pretty common though.
The AC Delco battery that came with these cars out the factory were prone to leaks. I've never had an F-Body that did NOT look like what you have shown us (I've owned a 98 V6, 97 V6, 01 Z28, 02 Firebird V6, 99 Z28 (Current))
Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure my previous 3 had similar issues just ive never bothered to look honestly.

Quick Reply: Coolant overflow hardline