General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

marvel mystery oil for fuel/ injector cleaning..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marvel mystery oil for fuel/ injector cleaning..

I've been told quite a few times over the years that the Marvel Mystery oil is used by some people to add to their fuel tank for " fuel injector cleaning ". Any of you do this ?

From what I understand, but could be wrong, the premium fuel I use, has a detergent already in it, for this exact purpose. Is this correct ?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used it before, it seems to work better than other injector cleaners.

I notice less gasoline spit out of the tail pipes when I run it with a tank of gas
Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Just some trivia,, Marvel Mystery Oil was originally developed for engines using the Marvel carburetor, some of which had the unique feature of having lines from the top of the radiator to allow steam into the engine.. (Circa 1912 - 1945 or so.. ) there was a tank on the engine that held the oil and it connected to the carb to drip the oil in when the steam was on. It was to help prevent rusting the pistons and valves in the old engines that were Iron.. Since they ran at such low RPM the steam would rust the engine while running without the oil. My grand parents had a old john deer tractor with this setup, when you opened the steam valve after the engine was hot the tractor had about 3x the normal torque pulling a plow.. A fair percentage of the product is a vegetable derived oil, partially wintergreen.

Have fun,,

PS: I use it in any engine thats been sitting to pre-oil the top end, put about 1/3 teaspoon down each spark plug hole.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, its used in the fuel, and engine oil ?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trex600450
So, its used in the fuel, and engine oil
Technically it's just a thin transmission fluid film that forms when they make transmission fluid.

It's a high detergent lubricant and can be used to clean out the crank case like sea foam. I run a shot glass full in my lawn mowers engine oil since it doesn't have a filter. I've noticed it has more power now and a steadier idle and revs higher. It's a 17 year old honda mower btw
Old 03-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Full can of Seafoam into a tank of gas when the fuel guage needle is on the E.......drive it as close to running out as you can. Best way to clean the fuel system......I do it every 3-4 months.

If you pour any kind of chemical cleaner into a tank of gas thats any more than 1/6th of a tank....it won't do anything.

There's not many things as powerful as gasoline to break things down......so you have to have hardly NO gas remaining for anything to clean things.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...2478454&page=1

Viscosity of 2-3 cSt at 100 deg C. In the 10w range. Only detergent in it is phosphorus...and at levels around what motor oils might have. I'd call that a weak detergent package as there isn't any calcium, zinc, etc. PEA based fluids like Chevron Techron complete fuel system cleaner can also clean you fuel system.

Dichlorobenzene, mineral spirits, and phos. do the cleaning.

Quick Reply: marvel mystery oil for fuel/ injector cleaning..