General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing (06 GTO)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 04:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing (06 GTO)

Turn signal fuses keeps blowing when engaging stick to reverse. Replaced the reverse light switch once, worked for a few weeks, then turn signal fuse blew again. Now, the fuse will keep blowing when car is engaged in reverse. All rear bulbs and sockets are fine. I have not checked the socket on reverse light switch, yet, but will in the next couple of days. Is this a short or a ground issue? Still a novice at all things electrical. Any suggestions or advice will help. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you using any led bulbs? If so swap them for regular

Check bulb sockets for corrosion or damage wires
Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Default Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing

Turn signal fuses keeps blowing when engaging stick to reverse. Replaced the reverse light switch once, worked for a few weeks, then turn signal fuse blew again. Now, the fuse will keep blowing when car is engaged in reverse. All rear bulbs and sockets are fine. I have not checked the socket on reverse light switch, yet, but will in the next couple of days. Is this a short or a ground issue? Still a novice at all things electrical. Any suggestions or advice will help. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Are you using any led bulbs? If so swap them for regular

Check bulb sockets for corrosion or damage wires
No LED bulbs, just standards. As I mentioned in my post, no corrosion on any of the rear bulb sockets. They also passed the continuity test on the multimeter.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you ever figure this out? My '06 GTO is now blowing the turn signal fuse, too. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with reverse or not, but when I start the car up it's burned out. started happening this weekend while driving. strangest thing...
Old 06-15-2019, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the exact same issue on my 2000 Trans Am. Replaced the reverse light switch and that fixed it for a few weeks. I replaced the switch a 2nd time, and the problem hasn't returned. My guess is the replacement switches are crap.

On my car it was easy to determine it was the reverse light circuit. If I put in a new fuse, the turn signals would work fine, but the instant I put it into reverse, the fuse would blow and the turn signals would stop working. If the engine wasn't running, I could even hear the fuse *pop* when I put it into reverse.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Hi all

is there a video to change the reverse light switch ?
i have. 95 TA 6spd.

Thx in advance

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Fuse Keeps Blowing (06 GTO)