General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01 SS clicking from rear low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 SS clicking from rear low speeds

Hey y'all, new here.... I figured I'd reach out to you for some help figuring out a problem. I have 01 SS with 50k miles and I'm hearing a clicking/ticking sound from the right rear axle/wheel at low speeds. Driving strait and turning. There's no rock in the tire, but sound is def from wheel rotation. Car drives fine, all lugs tight, there is no play in wheel or hub when car is lifted and I am trying to move wheel in/out or back and forth. Everything is nice and tight. There is No whine, so I don't believe its ball bearings. Stock 10 bolt rear end.

Side note... rear Lca's, springs, shocks, panhard bar, bump-stops' sway bar bushings and end links, rotors, brakes all replaced/upgraded.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

'Clicking' at the right rear axle/wheel points to axle bearing.
There are no 'ball bearings',bearing is 'needle bearing' assembly pressed into axle housing.
Have you verified that it's not coming from caliper/pads or parking/e-brake ?
If it does end up as the wheel bearing being the culprit,a bad axle bearing will deteriorate the axle surface where the bearing rides.
NEVER use an 'axle saver' replacement bearing,many horror stories with those.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try greasing up the rear suspension bushings to see if that remedies the clicking, you could be hearing a noisy bushing.

My rear wheel bearing on the passengers rear is going out and you can hear it whine decelerating around 40mph and below, and when you hit bumps in the road it sounds like the brake caliper is loose
Old 04-05-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

u-joints?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Cool. Thanks for responding so quickly guys... So I have checked the brakes, everything is good. E-brake cable is tight (Not clanking around like I have read about in other threads). All bushings are new and greased up. 99.99% sure it is coming from axle.

So FirstYrLS1Z, the bearing, is that a stand alone part that I can replace? or is that the dreaded 10 rebuild that I'm looking at?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Bearing GM# 9428573 AC Delco # RW204,Seal GM # 26029139.

Being that it's an 01SS,factory was a Torsen carrier but since it went to SLP,could have been replaced with an Auburn or Eaton carrier.
Up on stands,remove rear cover,remove bolt(use a 6 point wrench or socket) that holds in paddle or center shaft and remove paddle or center shaft,push axle in and remove c-clip,remove axle. At this point you'll be able to see the bearing(needles) and if they are deteriorated. If it and seal have to come out,a puller is needed.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the part numbers.. I will see about lifting the car up in the next several days. while I'm waiting for the parts to come in, I'll do some reading and see about the U-bolts like Farmington mentioned as well.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would replace the rear sway bar bushings. They make a cracking noise almost a squeak noise when going bad.

Bad wheel bearing on the rear makes it sound like the wheel is loose back there when you hit a pot hole or crack in the pavement
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
I would replace the rear sway bar bushings. They make a cracking noise almost a squeak noise when going bad.

Bad wheel bearing on the rear makes it sound like the wheel is loose back there when you hit a pot hole or crack in the pavement
Thanks Chrysler Kid... I heard similar response about the sway bar bushings and replaced those about a month ago and turned out to not be the issue... But, I'm glad that you mentioned the loose/crack sound over pot holes, because I have been dealing with that issue as well. It's been driving me nuts!! I'm positive the clicking is only coming from the right side rear, but the pot hole sound comes from both sides. So, I guess I've got my work cut out for me...

In your guys' opinion, is it worth DIY'ing it? Tedious? I have good tools and have done the rest of the suspension upgrades myself. But I live in an apartment and can't take on too big a job... Have to stop when sun goes down.

Quick Reply: 01 SS clicking from rear low speeds