General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 Camaro AC compressor issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro AC compressor issues

Bought the car knowing the AC didn't work...

​​​​I noticed the compressor is not engaging.

1. Checked fuse...It was missing so I installed a new fuse. Nothing changed
2. Bought a AC pro recharge kit. Tried that... Gauge on the bottle was low. So added that till in the correct range. Still does not engage.
3. Tried finding the low pressure switch... Trying to force the compressor to engage. Can't find it. I read this year does not have a low pressure switch...? Is that correct?

​​​​​​Is there anything else I can do without purchasing a set of gauges to check the high pressure side? I'm thinking I'll just bring it in...If that's the case.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2017, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe there are relays as well in the fuse box.. ( I think)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Yep swapped the relays around... Still nothing
Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

could just be a bad AC clutch then.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run battery directly to the clutch to test it. While you have the factory lead off you can use DVOM to test for power at the wire.

Edit: Try to limit the number of times you connect and disconnect it with the battery directly. The factory wiring has a Diode to deal with the 600 volt transient feedback spike that can harm electronics.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The system uses a pressure transducer, it maybe bad. Could be other things too. I would suggest looking online for instructions to diagnose the system. I can tell you some basics......the systems works like this: The HVAC controller in the dash sends a REQUEST AC signal to the PCM, PCM checks a few things like the Pressure the transducer is reporting and few other things like RPM etc then if everything is in parameters it grounds the AC COMP relay circuit which sends power to the AC clutch.

I wouldn't risk connecting the battery directly to the clutch, you could however pull the AC relay and use a jumper to at lest confirm the compressor clutch is working.

Its possible your HVAC control is not sending a request, or the AC relay maybe bad or the pressure transducer is bad or you don't have the static pressure in the system right or I could go on and on sorry. Best you look online for a complete system diagnostic break down. The transducer are know for having issues, may want to start there. Good Luck

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-26-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
You can run battery directly to the clutch to test it. While you have the factory lead off you can use DVOM to test for power at the wire.

Edit: Try to limit the number of times you connect and disconnect it with the battery directly. The factory wiring has a Diode to deal with the 600 volt transient feedback spike that can harm electronics.
That Flyback diode is not there to protect electronics, the flyback diode is there to protect the CLUTCH WINDINGS. When the AC relay opens the field in the clutch winding collapses cause a huge reverse polarity power spike, since the relay is OPEN the power has no place to go(it can't go back to damage anything. BUT it can blow the clutch winding to pieces if it can't be used up. The FLYBACK DIODE allows the REVERSE POLARITY spike to flow back into the winding where it is dissipated.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-26-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I just throw 12 volt to compressors that are easy to reach or jump the relay like mentioned above for low mounted ones. That should help get you on track to know whats next.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I will keep you guys posted on what I find out.

[QUqOTE=01ssreda4;19604545]I just throw 12 volt to compressors that are easy to reach or jump the relay like mentioned above for low mounted ones. That should help get you on track to know whats next.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can rent a pressure gauge set from any autoparts stores. If they aren't busy on the counter you can ask to use them in the parking lot and offer to leave your license
Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
That Flyback diode is not there to protect electronics, the flyback diode is there to protect the CLUTCH WINDINGS. When the AC relay opens the field in the clutch winding collapses cause a huge reverse polarity power spike, since the relay is OPEN the power has no place to go(it can't go back to damage anything. BUT it can blow the clutch winding to pieces if it can't be used up. The FLYBACK DIODE allows the REVERSE POLARITY spike to flow back into the winding where it is dissipated.
I didn't realize the relay disconnected both wires from the rest of the circuit completely isolating any chance of a high voltage spike back feeding to other circuits.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro AC compressor issues