General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 WS6 crank by hand question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 WS6 crank by hand question

Background info. 2001 trans am ws6 6 speed manual about 175,000 on it. No real work or upgrades done. A couple years ago (it's been sitting since) I had parked it for the weekend at my parents. Drove up their long steep dirt driveway and it sounded like the exhaust scraped and was loose. Forgot about it, left for the weekend and came back. Started it and it was making same noise. Thought "**** better go put it on my dads lift and see what's up" (he has a body shop) as I was driving it over there the knocking got louder and it shut off. Wouldn't start after. Not the battery or starter already checked that. Car has oil in it. He's getting tired of it sitting there so I need to make some decisions

I've looked for threads but can't seem to find exactly what I need to know. To try and turn it over by hand in the car, do I need remove belt or anything else? Then obviously put a big breaker bar on crank bolt but what next? I'd prefer to try it with plugs still in if at all possible? Only so I don't have to get 6 guys to push it up a hill into his shop. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can turn it over by hand with everything assembled and the belts on with the car in neutral, you will have to fight compression but it's not impossible to do with the plugs in.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:51 AM
Teching In

ok I'll try it first that way. I was just worried if it's a blown head gasket or something the plugs/compression would make it extremely difficult to turn but I will give it a shot. I changed the plugs in it a long time ago but I remember it being a time-consuming bitch Haha
Old 04-29-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

You will definitely need a big breaker bar but I know the crank would turn at about 18ftlb when I was trying to torque the flywheel with the plugs still in the car and the belt system on

If youre hitting the key with the starter on, you should see the crank pulley turning as the engine tries to start. If all you hear with the key trying t start is nothing or grinding it could be seized
Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Teching In

I was using a 10 inch 1/2" drive wrench with a 16" piece of copper pipe on it and it wouldn't budge. The car has been sitting so long I'm waiting on the battery to charge now to try what you suggested. Should I even bother pulling the plugs out to try again should I even bother pulling the plugs out to try again?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DougWolfe
I was using a 10 inch 1/2" drive wrench with a 16" piece of copper pipe on it and it wouldn't budge. The car has been sitting so long I'm waiting on the battery to charge now to try what you suggested. Should I even bother pulling the plugs out to try again should I even bother pulling the plugs out to try again?

The transmission is in neutral correct?

You can try pulling the plugs but there shouldn't be that much resistance unless the car is in gear or is having another problem

Quick Reply: 2001 WS6 crank by hand question