General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 Camaro SS Replacement Radiator issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro SS Replacement Radiator issue

Hey guys,
I am having an issue with the extra outlet on the radiator (on the bottom, drivers side). Currently, I am using a bypass cap and clamp to close it off. These do not last very long as the heat and pressure destroy that cap. Is there anything else that works for this issue? I have searched everywhere for a specific part or makeshift fix but no luck. Again, this is for an 02 Camaro SS. I purchased the radiator from O'Reilly and the part number is 432399 for anyone that could use a picture. The outlet in question is on the bottom left.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

LT1 style radiator correct?

This is what I did: drained the radiator, fill the cap that plugs that outlet with JB weld and put it on the outlet, let it sit for 24 hours to harden up and then fill the radiator.
I did that 7 years ago and it never has had an issue. I'll take a pic of it for you if you'd like.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Yes, I believe it is the LT1 style. So, just to make sure I am understanding this correctly...
Just take one of those rubber bypass caps, line the inside really good with JB Weld, then shove that on and let sit?
The JB Weld should keep the antifreeze, temp and pressure from deteriorating the cap I'm guessing.
That seems like a good fix. It would be good for me to go ahead and drain the radiator anyway. The power steering cooler busted in the radiator line a while back and I got a bunch of power steering fluid in there. Still finding some come up in there.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JFielder23
Yes, I believe it is the LT1 style. So, just to make sure I am understanding this correctly...
Just take one of those rubber bypass caps, line the inside really good with JB Weld, then shove that on and let sit?
The JB Weld should keep the antifreeze, temp and pressure from deteriorating the cap I'm guessing.
That seems like a good fix. It would be good for me to go ahead and drain the radiator anyway. The power steering cooler busted in the radiator line a while back and I got a bunch of power steering fluid in there. Still finding some come up in there.
Line it or fill it, yup that's it. Make sure that let it sit for 24 hours also.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Alternatively, you can use a piece of rubber hose with a short bolt/plug stuffed in the other end (obviously must be an interference fit), and then a hose clamp on both ends. I believe someone even installed some sort of drain **** in the hose instead of a bolt (I think this was member LS6427), so you'd have an additional drain port. Either option should be very long lasting, if you don't want to use the JB Weld.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a short piece of heater hose and a threaded plug 2 clamps.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I used the JB Weld on mine but instead of rubber cap I used tube cutter to remove flare and used a 1/2" copper pipe cap that fit perfectly..
Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Alternatively, you can use a piece of rubber hose with a short bolt/plug stuffed in the other end (obviously must be an interference fit), and then a hose clamp on both ends.
This is what I did, works great.

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro SS Replacement Radiator issue