General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mystery Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mystery Oil Leak

It seems like there is a bunch of oil leak threads going on right now...

I have a pretty sizable oil leak that runs down the rear of the engine and is all over the bellhousing. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, but from the threads I've read it would indicate possibly a leaky oil pressure switch. I've read the threads on replacing the unit both with and without removing the intake. (The car is a 2000 Camaro SS)

Is the oil pressure switch the most likely source of the leak? I wouldn't want to go to the trouble swapping it out if it's not the issue... Would I be better off just removing the intake and seeing what's going on under there?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had a similar leak that got really bad all of a sudden. I was sure it was the oil pressure sender but it was the rear main seal. Take off the inspection cover and take a good look in there.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Got a couple possibilities there unfortunately. I would pull the intake. Reason being the cam position sensor is the other culprit and it's right next to the OPSU. This way you can check both and replace if needed. If they are fine you'll know for sure vs guessing. You'll also have great access to verify it isn't the rear of the valve covers.

Remember oil leaks can seem to defy physics as to how oil gets places. Rear main is possible, but the rear engine cover and oil pan gaskets are also quite likely - especially at the "corners" of the rear cover.

I chased a leak that turned out to be the oil pan gasket cracked right at the oil filter mount area. It presented exactly like a rear main seal.

If the easy stuff checks out, might save time steam cleaning the engine, adding fluorescent dye to the oil, running the engine, and use UV light to follow the leak to its source.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks both of you for the input.

Is there anything I should be sure to have on hand when I remove the intake?

I have a set of plugs and wires I might as well do at the same time, might be easier with the intake off anyway.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an oil leak like yours, I thought it was the oil pressure sensor too, I removed my intake(doing an ls6 swap) be careful of the brake booster hose, that is what gets caught on the sensor and breaks it, what I did was removed the booster hose from the booster, removed the hose clamp and check valve, so it wouldn't get hung up on the sensor or the sensor wire. And then when I went to remove it I lifted it straight up(oil sensor is basically right up against the brake booster hose, which is why its suggested to lift straight up, then towards you) and pulled forward about 5 inches, so I could disconnect the MAP sensor and small vacuum line. Checked the sensor and it was bone dry, been awhile since that was replaced, so I replaced that and the Cam Position Sensor since I had easy access anyway, had the rear main/rear cover replaced 2 years ago, hope that's not it again, theres only 3 other possibilities that I think it could be -
1- Crankshaft Position Sensor
2- Oil Level sensor
3- Oil pan gasket
also, I used rubber bands to hold up the rear 4 bolts on the intake, I heard of using clothespins too. Might also want to get a set of intake gaskets, might as well replace them while you have the intake off.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Get a flashlight and look up into the rear main seal area. Although I was sure it was the OPSU, it was the rear main seal.

How many miles on your car? That's a good indicator of whether it's a rear main failure or not.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Get a flashlight and look up into the rear main seal area. Although I was sure it was the OPSU, it was the rear main seal.

How many miles on your car? That's a good indicator of whether it's a rear main failure or not.
I'll check it out... 125k

Quick Reply: Mystery Oil Leak