General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering hoses.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering hoses.

I am installing a new power steering pump with a Turn One pulley and a new reservoir, and putting in a power steering cooler as well. With all this I am converting all the lines to AN hoses and AN fittings. I have searched and get some conflicting information on the type of hose to use. Not size or pressure rating but the makeup of the hose. Specifically whether it should be CPE inner core or PTFE inner core. I have seen CPE hoses recommended for the power steering return (low pressure) side but then PTFE recommended for the feed line from the pump (high pressure). Based on that, it would seem that both CPE and PTFE cores are compatible with power steering fluid, but PTFE is recommended for high pressure. Yet I see steel and nylon braided hose with a CPE core rated in excess of the pressure from the pump. Anyone have the rationale for why CPE would be ok for the return lines but not the high pressure side even if it is rated in excess of the pressures the system is capable of producing? This is on a 2000 Corvette, LS1. Thanks for any insight on this.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

this may be able to work for you..

http://shop.huronspeedproducts.com/9...it-pslines.htm
Old 06-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
Link is for an F body kit. Thanks, but what I am asking is: is it required for the high pressure hose to be PTFE and not CPE for the inner core? I will be making my own hoses just trying to find out what type of hose as I am finding conflicting information.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Honestly the liner material has more to do with it's compatibility​ with the fluid then it's pressure rating. CPE was originally developed in the 50's and primarily used for military to supply fluids in aircraft. As fluid technology has evolved and addatives have come into play PTFE came along as it doesn't break down or degrade in diesel. Which is one step above crude in the refining process. CPE would work but mong term I'd go PTFE personally
Old 06-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Honestly the liner material has more to do with it's compatibility​ with the fluid then it's pressure rating. CPE was originally developed in the 50's and primarily used for military to supply fluids in aircraft. As fluid technology has evolved and addatives have come into play PTFE came along as it doesn't break down or degrade in diesel. Which is one step above crude in the refining process. CPE would work but mong term I'd go PTFE personally
I agree, it would not seem to be related to pressure, but looking at offerings from different sources, you will see CPE for return lines and PTFE for the high pressure lines. I will probably go PTFE as well, but was trying to see what the logic was. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Anytime and not applicable to you but a similar kit is on sale at​ cbr for $99 both hoses are TFE

Quick Reply: Power steering hoses.