98 trans am fuel pump - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 trans am fuel pump

Old 06-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Teching In

Default 98 trans am fuel pump

I have a 98 t/a with a possible defective fuel pump. It started making a high pitch whining noise yesterday, which got progressively louder. At first I thought I had a tire going flat, because it sounded like air leaking from somewhere, but then it turned louder. Also, I've been getting a code for a small emissions leak as well. Today I started it up and it is normal now. Should I go ahead and replace it with a racetronix to be safe, or just wait it out for a while and see how it goes??
ls6vettenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
LS1Tech Administrator

Fuel pump replacement is not easy on these cars, I wouldn't replace it unless you're having an actual driveability issue or if the noise is constant and you're certain it's coming from the tank. I would, however, check fuel pressure (especially under load) to see if anything is actually wrong. If FP is good (58-60psi under all conditions), and there's no excessive cranking during cold or hot starts, and the noise is no longer there, I wouldn't worry about it unless it returns/gets worse or some other issue starts to show itself.

FWIW, I've had some cars with noisy fuel pumps before, often times the noise would come and go, and sometimes this went on for years without anything actually failing. Noise can certainly be a preliminary indicator of failure, but this isn't always the case in my experience.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Teching In

Thank you for the reply. The only shop ive talked to gave me a estimate of around $900 to drop a racetronix in. I'm seriously considering the trap door method. The other day was the first time ive head the noise, and also the farthest ive drove the car anywhere, around 70 miles round trip. I just dont want it to leave me stranded on the side of the road. I bought the car a few months ago, its a pretty stock and very clean 50k mile local car.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #4
TECH Enthusiast

I have a '98 and replaced the fuel pump a couple of years ago. It isn't too bad, just getting the tank into and out of the car is a bitch because the filler neck keeps catching on the way in/out. It definitely helps to have someone to support it with you.

I actually just swapped my entire tank to the newer plastic one, so I still have an almost new 1998 Bosch fuel pump if you want to buy mine off of me. I got it for around $230 off Amazon. Say, $100? The pump includes the level sensor, so your fuel gauge may be more accurate after, if your old one was worn out.

My original GM pump died slowly by having hard starts for a while due to low pressure, but I don't recall if it made any special noise. If your tank runs really low, the pump will get noisy for sure. It should go away when you fill back up later--unless the pump was already on its way out.
eb110americana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 AM   #5
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6vettenc View Post
I have a 98 t/a with a possible defective fuel pump. It started making a high pitch whining noise yesterday, which got progressively louder. At first I thought I had a tire going flat, because it sounded like air leaking from somewhere, but then it turned louder. Also, I've been getting a code for a small emissions leak as well. Today I started it up and it is normal now. Should I go ahead and replace it with a racetronix to be safe, or just wait it out for a while and see how it goes??

For the fuel pump whine, it is normal for these cars to whine especially when the weather is hot. My last two F-Cars did it religiously without anything failing.. it does get annoying though. There IS A WAY to help the whining and I've done this and it works too..

Buy a few pints of Lucas Fuel Additive... (do NOT pour in immediately).. Run your car down till you have somewhere around 1/8th of a tank... put the pint into the tank, add only 1 gallon of gas to the car.. DO NOT FILL UP.. -- drive it until its nearly empty... do this about 3 times.. the Lucas Fuel Additive will help lube the fuel pump.. alot of the noise will go away after doing this for about 3 times.

Also make sure your shop knows what they're doing when they install the Racetronix Pump. I asked a shop to do this for me and they completely f*cked it up and f*cked up the fuel pump too costing me over $1k in repairs and you're not going to get anything out of it since its considered "custom" .. So unless you know they've done it before, specifically with a Racetronix pump, don't let an average joe mechanic do it.

For the EVAP code, I "THINK" there's a solenoid on the filler neck of the 98's that needs to be replaced... don't quote me on this.. on the 99's its ontop of the tank making dropping the tank mandatory.. if you have to drop the tank..replace EVERYTHING up there..not just the fuel pump.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-16-2017 at 03:04 AM.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
LS1Tech Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For the fuel pump whine, it is normal for these cars to whine especially when the weather is hot. My last two F-Cars did it religiously without anything failing..
I do agree about the noise. Like I said above, if that's all that it's doing intermittently at this point and pressure tests are fine, I certainly wouldn't replace it. It could be fine literally for years like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For the EVAP code, I "THINK" there's a solenoid on the filler neck of the 98's that needs to be replaced... don't quote me on this.. on the 99's its ontop of the tank making dropping the tank mandatory.. if you have to drop the tank..replace EVERYTHING up there..not just the fuel pump.
You're thinking of the EVAP canister, which is in fact on top of the tank for '99+, but located behind a plastic panel right near the filler neck on a '98. Purge solenoid is located in the same spot for all years (engine bay, driver's side of intake manifold) but the vent solenoid is, I think, different from '98 to '99+ (both are back near the tank.) Regardless, there is no direct indication that the canister needs to be replaced for a small EVAP leak code. That leak could be anywhere in the system, including an EVAP line or even simply the gas cap. This is why shops often use a smoke machine to find small leaks in this system, it could be anywhere.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
Teching In

I think im going to to the trap door method sometime soon with a racetronix. Thank you for the replys.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6vettenc View Post
Thank you for the reply. The only shop ive talked to gave me a estimate of around $900 to drop a racetronix in. I'm seriously considering the trap door method. The other day was the first time ive head the noise, and also the farthest ive drove the car anywhere, around 70 miles round trip. I just dont want it to leave me stranded on the side of the road. I bought the car a few months ago, its a pretty stock and very clean 50k mile local car.
$900....holy christmas.....

I paid a race shop $240 in labor to install my Racetronix Fuel System...and they dropped the gas tank and did it the right way.

Get a second, third and forth quote. It only takes 2-3 hours by an experienced shop. Don't give it to some idiot thats gonna take 10 hours and charge you that damn much.

LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
TECH Addict

Or learn to do it yourself so you know that the job is done correctly.
chrysler kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ Listen to this guy, they hooked me up!
eb110americana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Teching In

Thanks everyone, im currently in a wait and see period. I'm probably going to just do it myself with the trap door method, with a racetronix from ws6store.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #14
TECH Addict

Do the trap door method, its so easy I did it in my sleep while dreaming about a hot chick helping me. Honestly the entire process took less than hr.

Pulling the tank on a NEW car isn't bad but a old 15 year old fbody will certainly be the biggest pain in the azzz you ever encountered. The bolts and sleeves rust and can be almost impossible to get apart.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
TECH Addict

Heh for evap small leak you will need to go to the dealer to get a new oem gas cap. The 98's have a unique design that isn't made by the aftermarket
chrysler kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
On The Tree

My 98 Z28 had a noisy fuel pump several years ago, thought it was dying, so I dropped a racetronix pump in it. About 2 years ago, the new pump I installed got really loud and I assumed it was dying again. Did some reading online and decided to get the lucas upper cylinder lubricant. Put it in the gas tank according to the instructions, and after a few weeks, the noise completely disappeared, still good now. Wish I had heard of this before I replaced the original.
Revcore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #17
TECH Addict

I've had a few fuel pumps fail right after using Lucas.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #18
On The Tree

Oh ok, you killed two fuel pumps with lucas and decided to try it a third time? That's pretty interesting, I've used it on one pump, fixed the issue and continue to use lucas. If the pump is noisy and dying anyway, what have you got to lose?
Revcore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #19
TECH Addict

I still use it in all my vehicle's, just saying 2 times within a day of putting it in the pumps dyed. Both low mileage cars, just the way things go sometimes. My Jeep has 275k on it and I use lucas without any troubles.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #20
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you need ANY help or tech info please let us know! F bodies are kind of our thing
Yeah right. I called last week to ask a tech question, they took my name and number and said our fuel system expert will call you right back! Guess what no phone call! Just like racerontix's tech line, email a question about what parts to buy for my fuel system upgrade and never received a answer and that was two weeks ago! I'll take my business else where!
JOHNNY59 is online now   Reply With Quote