General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 Camaro Wipers Stuck in upright position

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 Camaro Wipers Stuck in upright position

I have found several old threads on wiper issues but none have a solution to my issue. Dose anyone have a detailed understanding of how the Wiper system works? Specifically what causes the wipers to return to the parked position.

I have a 1999 that I drove for many years until it blew a head gasket that I now am using as a part car. I never had a problem with the wipers.

I am now driving a 2002. When I turn the wipers off they stop in the full upright position. When the wipers are turned on they work (example: if switch is in delay position wipers wait at the bottom until its time to cycle).

There a 4 components that I am aware of that controls the wipers. Switch, Wiper Transmission (linkage), Motor and logic board. Motor, WT and LB are mounted together. One cause of the this type of issue is a bent or broken tab on the Transmission. This is not the cause of my problem.

I have moved all the components except the switch from my '99 to '02. This did not fix the problem. Its not logical to me that the stitch would be the cause. Before I disassemble the steering columns on both cars can anyone offer any suggestion?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's the spring and catch on the motor itself. Real common with grand prix's I believe it was. I used the fix for the Grand Prix when mine did the same as yours. It didn't last long but the new motor fixed it for a few years now.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Sorry Tug68spd I should have been more clear on my post

"One cause of the this type of issue is a bent or broken tab on the Transmission. This is not the cause of my problem."

the "Spring and catch" is working. I ran it several times with out the linkage attached and the little "kick stand" catches on the tab and the transmission stops turning every time.

Thank you for trying to help.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Irrelevant possibly, but when I ran a 55watt hid kit in my headlights it caused the wipers to try to reset themselves every 5 seconds, what I mean is that they would hunt for the lowest point on the windshield. Have you had any problems with your headlights? Do the daytime running lights still work, do the auto headlights still work?

So it sounds like you have a bad ground, or a bad connection to the wiper motor

Another irrelevant post, the regulator should be causing the motor to seek natural lowest point in the windshield. It's a common failure on Hondas, but in their case the wiper would just stop where ever it was when you turned it off.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Thank you chrysle kid, this is something I will definantly check. Previous owner install after marked headlights and there is a defective connector. I have had a replacement in by glove box for months trying to find time enough to solder and heat wrap the wires. I will post and update as soon as I can get it done.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KWRVA
Thank you chrysle kid, this is something I will definantly check. Previous owner install after marked headlights and there is a defective connector. I have had a replacement in by glove box for months trying to find time enough to solder and heat wrap the wires. I will post and update as soon as I can get it done.
I would recommend going back to a factory style headlight, a 9006 style bulb. Or disconnect the headlights completely to see if that cures the problem
Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Teching In

I think you are correct, I like the way the headlights look but I think they may be causing problems. The headlights on the '99 are yellowed but it might be wise to clean them up and swap them out. It also a good idea to just disconnect them to troubleshoot the wiper issue. Thank you for the suggestions. I often overlook the easy test in favor of hours of frustration.
I will be out of town for a week but will post and update when I get back to work on this.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Wipers Stuck in upright position