General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clicking Noise Underneath Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise Underneath Center Console

So I'm having an issue with my Trans Am. It's a 2000 TA M6. I don't drive it very often anymore, but when I do I get this awful noise every once in a while from underneath the center console. It sounds like the ABS is going off or something and it is usually only triggered when driving over bumps or uneven surfaces. I've looked underneath for anything loose that might be making a noise but I haven't found a culprit.

The sound increases or decreases along with the movement of the vehicle and once it starts it usually continues. One of the first times it ever happened it seemed like my car wouldn't move, like stuck brakes. I put it in reverse and it unlocked and the noise disappeared for a few days. Of course it started back up again. It's fairly intermittent but not subtle by any means.

Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

That sounds like ABS... (bumps and uneven surfaces)

Do you have any tire, wheel, or gear modifications from stock.

Have you tried scanning with a tool that can pull ABS codes?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6 rims and the car is lowered. I have not tried scanning for ABS codes.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by KonkeyDong
C6 rims
Are the outer circumference of your current tires the same as stock? If not, that could be exaggerating your problem.

When the tires are different, then the ABS sensor reports will be off from what the computer expects compared to the car's speed. From what most people experience when changing tire sizes, there is some tolerance in the ABS/TCS computer for the sizing to be off. However, if a sensor is starting to go out, it will be much more sensitive if the tire sizing has pushed the wheel speed further off spec.

^ If a wheel speed sensor is going bad, hopefully there is an ABS code to provide some hints as to where the issue might be.

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise Underneath Center Console