General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering foaming and steering whine issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unhappy power steering foaming and steering whine issue

so I pulled into work this morning and mainly on sharp right turns I would hear a whine sound. when I pulled into my work's parking lot and into a complete stop I then turned the steering wheel left and right and the whine was more louder and more noticeable.

I popped the hood and checked the power steering reservoir and noticed it was a tad low but also there were a lot of small bubbles, like foam. I do not know if it was hot or not it was too dark to tell using my phone's flashlight.

I checked underneath my car and nothing was dripping. my car's a z28 and I do not have the steel ps cooler in the radiator hose. there is a lot of dirty soot on the power steering lines but considering the car has ~140k miles

I searched on here and mainly what I find is ppl with the oem PS cooler which I don't have. is my rack toasted? is there air in the reservoir? should I add a PS cooler or check if there's leak somewhere but where would I start?
Old 09-08-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be a leak in the lines allowing air to get in.
Cap could be bad.
Fluid could be low
Use a good fluid not the auto store crap. I like Redline.
Pump could be going bad.

Cheapest approach would be to get a new cap and drain then refill with new/better fluid.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just checked the fluid level on break. I took the cap off and wiped the leveler dry and put the cap back on and removed it to check where the fluid level was and no fluid touched it. so I'm guessing its low. i'll grab some more PS fluid like you suggested but it begs the question, why was it low in the first place? may be a leak somewhere or something else.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fst100
may be a leak somewhere or something else.
The two issues feed off of each other. (The whine and air bubbles are probably related.) If you are low on fluid, that could introduce air into the pump through the reservoir. If you have a bad pump that is leaking, that could also be sucking air in to the reservoir. Etc.

If you fill up the reservoir and don't see the foaming again or hear the squealing - that will be a good sign and probably indicate you just have a simple leak somewhere.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info. i'll grab some ps fluid and fill to spec and see what happens next.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

PS fluid, like any other fluid in the car, needs to be changed. If OP does not know when or if it was ever changes I would "flush" the PS system and put in new fluid.

With help from a friend remove the return line to reservoir and put end in some form of container. fill PS reservoir and have the friend start the car. PS fluid will immediately come spewing out into the container. Keep adding fluid to reservoir until fluid is coming out of return hose gets "new" looking. This all takes less than a minute

don't just stick the return hose in the container, fill reservoir and start the car your self. The reservoir will be empty before you even "run" to fill it up.

Now you have new fresh fluid in the system....you may however also have a failing pump or a leak somewhere but you need to flush the PS system if you replace parts or not
Old 09-08-2017, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add a bottle of ps "Conditioner", worked for me. Seals might be drying up, the conditioner will help soften them. Don't forget to bleed system of air bubbles after refilling. Good luck
Old 09-08-2017, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the tips. I read of using the turkey baster method since i may end up doing this on my own.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you can do the turkey baster thing...just do it, fill. Start car and turn wheel a few times lock to lock...use turkey baster again. Repeat until the fluid remains "new" looking

If cap is original and weeps fluid just buy a new one at auto parts store. They are not much $

be carefull with the brake fluid and spills...it will FU paint
Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The cap is not air or fluid-tight. It's just meant to prevent sloshing - so that shouldn't be a worry here. There are bigger problems afoot...

I wouldn't bother on changing out the fluid until the source of the leak/issue is found. Most likely, this story will end in a procedure where the fluid will be drained and changed out, anyway. (So, it doesn't make sense to flush the system, and then toss all that good fluid.) There are bigger problems afoot...

Quick Reply: power steering foaming and steering whine issue