General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wiring in universal low tone horn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring in universal low tone horn?

I’ve searched the boards and I didn’t see this issue specifically addressed. Maybe because the solution is obvious, but unfortunately it’s not obvious to me.

I’m replacing the low tone horn on my TA and I bought a universal horn from *dvance Auto. It uses spade connectors instead of the round ones on the OEM part. Plus the two connectors are farther apart than OEM, so I don’t see a way to use the stock connector.

I’ve read that many people use these universal horns, but is everyone cutting the wires and splicing the new horn in? Is there a way to use the universal horn without cutting the factory wires?

Sorry for the newb questions but electrical is not my strong suit.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring in universal low tone horn?-horns.jpg  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what i did, spend the extra $$$ and get AC delco direct replacement horn. Unplug old and plug in new.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I put some PIAA universal horns in my truck and used a couple of old metri pack female connectors i had lying around to wire them up and avoid chopping up the stock harness. I think I used part of an old ABS harness.

That said, I do agree with the above. Stock F-body horns are pretty darn loud as is.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I found a horn on a large online retailer for $10 more which should have stock style connectors. I returned the universal horn today and should receive the other one tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out

Quick Reply: Wiring in universal low tone horn?