General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 Firebird 5.7 strange squeal

Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Firebird 5.7 strange squeal

Started making a loud metal squeal the other day on start up. Sounds like metal on metal and I'm worried. It only does it on the starting process and its only a quick split second sound on the turn over. Gonna hit some bearings with wd40 or jb blaster this weekend to see if its a bearing somewhere in the pullies. Any ideas until then? Is it a good idea to continue driving it let alone starting it to find the problem part? It makes me cringe so ive quit driving in the fear that I'm seriously damaging my baby. While I'm here, any rough estimates on getting the exterior of my bird painted the same color? Its maroon id say maybe burgundy? Clear coats on a fast departure in this florida sun and the paints fading now. Would it be wise to peal coat the car until I can paint it? Thanks in advance guys/gals!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy793
Gonna hit some bearings with wd40 or jb blaster this weekend
Please don't do this. These items are solvents and while they will lubricate temporarily, they will also dissolve what good grease you have left.

Better to get a mechanic's stethoscope to fine your noise. They are cheap and will get the job done.

If you need to spray something, you can use water, but I'm not sure that will really be an efficient way of doing what you want to do.

Your price for paint will vary wildly depending on the quality of the place you go to and how far you want to go with the finish. If you want to just spray the same thing over top and not paint any insides of doors, etc. (lower quality job) then it could cost you several thousand to do the whole car. If you want a factory-quality paint job and want to change the color inside and out, you could pay $30K and more to get that done.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't spray. If you suspect it to possibly be one of the pullys, take of the belt and let it run for a few seconds to see if it makes any noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Firebird 5.7 strange squeal