General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To: Fix Parking Brake Button Rattle/Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default How To: Fix Parking Brake Button Rattle/Buzz

Recently my parking brake button got real noisy and it was driving me crazy. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of help online about the issue or even how to disassemble the parking brake lever. I'm making this guide so if anyone else has this problem it'll pop up in a search, making things easier for people in the future.

This is a step-by-step of how I solved the issue. I know it's common because GM actually put out a service bulletin on it back in '97. My vehicle is an early '94 TransAm with a T56. First we need to remove the center console.

Unscrew the shifter ****

Remove shifter boot by pushing forward on it and lift it up

Remove the center console trim the same way you removed the shifter boot. Push forward on it from the back then lift it up.

The center console courtesy light will still be attached. Use a small flat blade screwdriver or something similar to pop the black plastic cap off the white plastic switch.

Pop off the base of the cigarette lighter. In my car these wires are hot with key off so you may want to disconnect the negative battery cable or pull the fuse first.

Remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the center console to the car. There are two in the console compartment and one near the middle of the console.

To remove the center console, pull the parking brake lever up so it's vertical and lift the console up over the parking brake lever. Once the console is out, remove the 2 10mm bolts on the parking brake base.

The parking brake cable is held in place like a throttle cable. With the spring gone you can rotate the gear by hand to give yourself slack to remove the cable. You'll also have to bend up a small metal flap, a screwdriver did the trick for me.

Bend inward the 3 metal flaps here to push the cable through the hole and free the parking brake lever assembly from the car.

The next step will be much easier with the assembly out of the car. If you press the parking brake button you'll notice it moves a "lock pawl". The button is hooked to the front and back of this lock pawl so you have to create some space between the lock pawl and the metal frame of the lever to pull the button out. The hooks are twisted slightly to the right so you'll want to jam a small flat blade screwdriver into the right side of the lock pawl then follow that up with a larger screwdriver to create just enough space to pull the button out.

Here is the parking brake button in all its glory. The official way to correct the rattle is to bend the hook inward 2-4mm. This adds tension to the button. I used a hammer and pliers was able to bend it about that much. I also wrapped the exposed metal with electrical tape for good measure. Just make sure the spring can still move freely.

That's it! Install is reverse of removal. Be sure to test button operation *before* installing it back into the car.

Last edited by AdsoYo; 06-14-2018 at 04:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rentedmule (11-18-2020)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do love posts like this. Excellent photos and very detailed. One day someone is going to be looking for a how-to on their parking brake and your post will make their day.

This site has saved me several times now from having to fork over big dollars for work. Let's keep it rolling.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks! Just trying to contribute to the community
Old 11-18-2020, 06:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky98
I do love posts like this. Excellent photos and very detailed. One day someone is going to be looking for a how-to on their parking brake and your post will make their day.

This site has saved me several times now from having to fork over big dollars for work. Let's keep it rolling.
Well that day has come !
I have been trying to workout how the E brake activated the switch as mine started playing up. The dash light for hand brake started to some times not come on. From your pictures it looks like this switch is not a micro switch but a very simple contact mechanism. I think mine still has enough tension to operate but I think the contact point could need a clean using some wet and dry paper. As I'm in Australia I do not have the option of going to the local GM parts department or some of your auto shops to buy another switch. I would normally get one from Rockauto but none are listed. Anyone want to help me out I would gladly compensate for purchase and postage for this Switch looks to be red in colour.
Graeme in OZ.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

nice job man , great post and thank you .

Quick Reply: How To: Fix Parking Brake Button Rattle/Buzz