General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is this tube that clips to the torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What is this tube that clips to the torque arm?

I changed my torque arm out today and when I pulled out the stocker this came with it. What is this thing? Had a check valve on it. I assumed it was a drain but I don't see anything to connect this thing too....
Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

It connects to a pipe that comes out of the top of the transmission. It is a breather for the transmission in case of over heating or over filled, fluid will come out of the pipe on the transmission, that hose allows the fluid to exit down further so a flash fire is not caused with tranny fluid splashing on engine block, headers, transmission case. Tranny fluid is very flammable.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
It connects to a pipe that comes out of the top of the transmission. It is a breather for the transmission in case of over heating or over filled, fluid will come out of the pipe on the transmission, that hose allows the fluid to exit down further so a flash fire is not caused with tranny fluid splashing on engine block, headers, transmission case. Tranny fluid is very flammable.
that's what I was leaning towards. I assume the check valve end goes to the transmission? And what it used both ends of the hose as a drain? When I blew through the valve it only came out of the short end...
Old 10-05-2017, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Nevermind after searching using the right phrasing a I found a picture. I appreciate the help!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

For those who get in this same bind and don't want to take everything off just so the trans can hang down...or have solid mounts making it difficult to even allow the trans to hang down on the first place...i found a viable solution. I fought with it for hours trying to snake it up and push it on the nipple but failed miserably, and butchered my hands in the process. What I did was take I believe 5/16 nylon fuel line, heat it up and push in a 5/16 hose barb union connection that usually comes with these things and let it cool off to create a permanent seal. I than plugged the stock line into the other end of the hose barb and then simply pushed the nylon line onto the stock vent hose and ran it down to the tq arm as usual. The nylon line has rigidity to it making it easy to slide into the vent tube on the transmission and it' very secure. I needed pliers to yank it back off when I was test fitting it. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: What is this tube that clips to the torque arm?