General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???

Not sure what to call this piece. The turn left turn signal had been having some resistance to turning on, but it still would; until this happened, see below pics. This is my only running vehicle at the moment, the others are down for repairs/upgrades.... I need this fixed for work Tuesday. Car is a 94 formula. I am unsure how to proceed at this point. It appears to be some kind of crappy cast aluminum. If I could get the other piece off I would attempt to TIG it back together, although I am sure that would prove difficult with what appears to be a poor quality casting.

Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???-i2bixmn.jpg

Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???-vjukvu7.jpg

Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???-divzgdl.jpg

Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???-ttelacd.jpg

Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???-k1sg7c2.jpg

Help!

Thanks,
Vette

Edit: Cannot seem to get the embed pic thing to work. If anyone could throw me an assist that would be great.

Last edited by wssix99; 10-08-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: non-visible links
Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Please use the image button [IMG]https://ls1tech.com/forums/images/editor/insertimage.gif
[/IMG]to post your actual pictures in your posts. You'll get many more replies that way. It's a real PITA to zip through a bunch of links and if you want assistance, it's best to make that easy for folks.

That part looks like pot metal. Can't weld it. Maybe JB Weld would get you a day or two? I tried that stuff on a pot metal bracket holding one of my mirrors on and it didn't last long.

That piece should be part of your windshield wiper/washer switch assembly:

The assembly has a bunch of plastic in it, which you may have destroyed when your signal lever came out. (The same assembly broke on my a few years ago.)

In the end, you'll need a new assembly. The catch is that I believe there were several different switches on these cars, depending on the options. (Intermittent wipers, etc.) Getting a new one in the next two days on a bank holiday weekend, could be challenging. Good luck!

Here is a great guide to the column. Your issues pick up on page 39 of the .pdf:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

Here's my thread from my wiper switch replacement. (The columns should be identical between my 4th gen and your 3rd gen in these respects.) https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
Old 10-09-2017, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I'll throw in my .02. I had the same thing happen to me years ago. Went to use the left turn signal and *crack*. The turn signal lever is officially called the "multi function lever" or MFL. The part that you broke is most likely the high beam switch even though you were using the turn signal when it happened. Replacing the high beam switch is much less expensive than replacing the whole assembly thankfully.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
Replacing the high beam switch is much less expensive than replacing the whole assembly thankfully.
The actual high beam switch is mounted lower (under the dash) on the column and connected to the turn signal lever mechanism by a rod that goes up the column. The lever that actuates the rod (which presses the high beam switch) is part of that wiper assembly that receives the turn signal lever.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Lever thingy broken???