General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)

The following is for my 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L V8.

I've been getting this code for the last year or so. I figured it was originally due the more common issue which is the seal on the fuel tank cap has become worn so it would not create a vacuum anymore. I replaced the fuel tank cap over the summer with an ACDelco fuel tank cap. I didn't really like this cap because it didn't seem like it would ever get on tight, but I stuck with it anyways. Again, the check engine light came on with the same code.

So I ordered another fuel tank cap, this time a Gates that was more similar to the original fuel tank cap. I drive around for a while and after about a week or so, the light comes on again.

I know that this issue is caused by the following:
1. A faulty fuel tank cap or the fuel tank cap not being tightened all the way
2. A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
3. A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
4. The EVAP Canister may be leaking

Since I've hopefully crossed off the first one, what are your opinions? I noticed that when my dash was telling me the fuel tank cap was not on tight the last time this happened, that I smelled the odors of gasoline (hoping that they were coming from the gas station I happened to be driving by at the time). So I figure there is actually a leak in one of the hoses somewhere in the engine bay.

I don't know which hoses to look at because I'm not sure which ones are fuel tank hoses, EVAP hoses or other hoses. I figure replacing the hoses should be my first option before I replace the purge valve or EVAP canister. I figure I can tell where there is a crack or small leak just by inspection. I don't have a smoke machine to do a smoke test.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can look at information about replacing these hoses or if it might be one the other two issues, please let me know. I want to fix this before the winter comes (last year I was under the truck removing the transmission and rebuilding it in my cold garage). Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would any of the solenoids or canisters near the fuel tank be the cause of my issue? It doesn't look like an expensive job to just replace everything in that area, I just want to know if that would solve the issue.

Quick Reply: P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak)