General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fluid leak beside oil filter - can't figure it out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leak beside oil filter - can't figure it out!

Hey all! I'm new to this community and haven't posted before, but I'm in need of some help. Today my 95 Camaro started leaking an orange liquid from the engine. After I parked in the garage, I smelled a bad odor coming from under the hood. I found the fluid all over the oil filter and areas surrounding it. It left a decent sized puddle on the ground as well but stopped after 10 minutes or so. Did some searching and it's definitely the coolant. I checked the level and it's this nasty orange color. While I was cleaning around the oil filter, It started to leak again and I managed to snap a couple pictures of where it was. I attached both pictures to the post. Am I looking at a gasket issue or is this something different?I'm hoping someone can let me know what's going on, and give me some tips on what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Fluid leak beside oil filter - can't figure it out!-20171011_184159.jpg   Fluid leak beside oil filter - can't figure it out!-20171011_184216-1-.jpg  

Last edited by cpfull; 10-12-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

looks like your freeze plug is going bad on you and leaking.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bleepster
looks like your freeze plug is going bad on you and leaking.
That would make sense. Any recommendations on how to replace it? Should the water pump be replaced as well? I appreciate the help!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I never replaced a freeze plug while the engine still in the car. Google how to remove a freeze plug. pretty easy.

while apart, its a good time to flush out coolant, replace water pump (just because), new t-stat and put fresh antifreeze in.

thats some pretty rusty looking antifreeze.

what year vehicle? Dex-cool is orange - but man - that looks like rusty water.

Quick Reply: Fluid leak beside oil filter - can't figure it out!