General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Shake the wheel of my camaro to turn it on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shake the wheel of my camaro to turn it on.

In short, I'm chasing an electrical gremlin or two. Ill have an ocassional no start. Vats already bypassed. I swap out the ignitiin relay and usually that solves it. (Im thinking i might need to take a look at the BCM since others have said thats where the rrlay is grounded.

Now today i had the same no start issue after driving it for alittle. New relay didnt help. In my frustration violently shaking the sterring wheel left to right allowed it to fire right up. Am i missing a simple issue/fix ?

1999 camaro ls1
Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The BCM controls the ground of the starter relay not the ignition relay. That is one of the methods used by VATS to prevent vehicle theft. With VATS bypassed you probably don't need to worry about that. I would check that your VATS bypass connections at the base of the steering column aren't coming loose. It could also be a worn ignition switch which is mounted low on the column and activated by a rod from the ignition key cylinder.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ If shaking the wheel really fixes the issue, I would think these would be the only possibilities.

Quick Reply: Shake the wheel of my camaro to turn it on.