General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC System

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC System

I have a 96 Z28 with AC that doesn't work. Compressor leaks and the lines leak. I am in the middle of a dash swap right now and considering replacing Evaporator core, although it was not one of the leaking components in the AC system. I for sure am going to replace the condensor when I get to the under the hood upgrades over the winter. I wanted to finish up my interior upgrades first, before tackling that stuff. Anyways, how hard is it to actually remove the evaporator core, and should I even be doing that if it is not leaking? The heater core I can see and it is labeled 1996 on it, but looks brand new still and it is definitely not leaking and not clogged or anything. What are your thoughts on replacing Evap Core while I have the dash out and does anyone have a step by step on removing it without cutting anything? I am basically tearing the whole car apart over the winter and am not opposed to removing stuff to avoid cutting things and gluing them back together. I definitely need the AC working in the summertime with the little ones. Gets really hot in the back for them.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If its out, why not. Though Ive never actually done one it should be basically a little mini condensor with some type of flanged o ring fitting. Should be a simple swap once you have it exposed.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would absolutely do both the evap and heater core on a 20 year old car while the dash is apart. How they look externally is not a good indication of how they're functioning or how long they have left to live. Better to do that job once and be done with it than have to take it all apart again later.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, if taking the dash out, replace it.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my writeup from 11 yrs ago: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...placement.html

Quick Reply: AC System