General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Scraping/rubbing sound when driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Scraping/rubbing sound when driving

So i have this rubbing/scraping going on when i drive. The sound starts once the car is going around 10 mph or so and sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side but i could be wrong. The sound is fairly constant and seems to get worse if i turn the wheel to the left like taking a curve or a turn. Weird thing is if im turning right the noise goes away but once i start going straight again the noise comes back. I have already replaced the usual things like the wheel hub and also just replaced the pads and rotors today as i thought that might be causing the noise since i discovered i had a seized caliper guide pin and my pads and rotors were in bad shape. However the noise is still there and i have no idea what it is...anyone out there have an idea?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How does the pitch of the noise change? With speed of the vehicle, with RPM, does it change at all? Does it happen in reverse?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
How does the pitch of the noise change? With speed of the vehicle, with RPM, does it change at all? Does it happen in reverse?
speeds up as the speed of the car increases...once im doing like 50 or so you cant really hear it over road noise. I haven't gone fast enough in reverse to create the noise as it seems to start once im going like 10mph or so
Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Save the manuals!

How many miles do you have? Have you checked your hubs/bearings?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

How many miles do you have? Have you checked your hubs/bearings?
in my initial post i stated that i changed the passenger side hub already. I actually changed both hubs out before this about 2 and a half years ago because they both were making noise but the noise was different then the noise im hearing now. I may go ahead and swap out the driver one with the passenger one i just removed since it is still good just to see if the noise goes away. Its odd because the noise is constant if i turn the steering wheel left like taking a curve or a turn but if im going straight the noise only occurs ocassionally and when i turn right i don't hear it really at all
Old 11-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
in my initial post i stated that i changed the passenger side hub already.
Sorry

I actually changed both hubs out before this about 2 and a half years ago
What brand/part did you use?

I may go ahead and swap out the driver one with the passenger one i just removed since it is still good just to see if the noise goes away.
You wouldn't be the first person to put a new hub out out of the box and have it bad. I assume the noise was same before/after that hub swap? Changing both hubs at the same time is a best practice to keep both sides of the car wearing the same. I've also seen odd issues where noises ping pong around the engine bay (the firewall and accessory arrangement isn't symmetrical) and have had a hard time pinning down the side where noises are coming from.

Have you checked out the drive shaft and seen if anything is touching it?

Have you checked the lateral runout between your rotor and pads? (Raise the wheel and spin the hub, with the rotor on by hand, and look for relative movement of the rotor back and forth against the pads.) I would think that with new rotors and pads, this should be perfect, unless you have a bent mount for the brake caliper, etc.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry

What brand/part did you use?

You wouldn't be the first person to put a new hub out out of the box and have it bad. I assume the noise was same before/after that hub swap? Changing both hubs at the same time is a best practice to keep both sides of the car wearing the same. I've also seen odd issues where noises ping pong around the engine bay (the firewall and accessory arrangement isn't symmetrical) and have had a hard time pinning down the side where noises are coming from.

Have you checked out the drive shaft and seen if anything is touching it?

Have you checked the lateral runout between your rotor and pads? (Raise the wheel and spin the hub, with the rotor on by hand, and look for relative movement of the rotor back and forth against the pads.) I would think that with new rotors and pads, this should be perfect, unless you have a bent mount for the brake caliper, etc.
i used timken hubs which are supposed to be pretty good. It is hard to tell which side it is coming from but it definitely sounds like it is from the front of the car. Its kinda odd because it seems like the noise has actually gone away some. Now i pretty much only hear the noise when i turn the wheel left like taking a slight curve on the road. Im gonna look closer at my pads and rotors and into the driver side hub when i get a chance.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Save the manuals!

i used timken hubs which are supposed to be pretty good.
Yea, they are a good choice.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

Well i had my wife sit in the passenger seat while i drove just to try and confirm that the sound is indeed coming from the passenger side and it definitely seems like it is. At this point i dunno what it could be however one thing i did notice when i was changing my brakes was that the passenger side caliper was alot harder to compress then the driver side so maybe its sticking or something?? Other then that i really have no ideas.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Well i went ahead and changed out the chatter plates and metal clip that is in the calipers however the noise is still there. At this point i really have no idea what is causing the noise
Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been getting a very similar noise, only on turns to the left at around 45-50 mph, seems like pass. side. Doesn't happen going straight. I think it may have gone away recently though. My car is still low mileage, original hubs and brakes.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Still no idea where the sound is coming from hopefully next week i will be on vacation and i will be able to look into it more. One thing i recently noticed that is kinda odd is if im on the highway doing 60 or so then hit the brakes to slow down the noise gets very loud and rapid for a second then goes away.

Quick Reply: Scraping/rubbing sound when driving