General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating, guage stopped, smells like coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating, guage stopped, smells like coolant

Hey, guys. Over the summer, I drove my mom's 97 Camaro and the A/C wasn't working. The car always smelled like coolant after driving it and always seemed to feel hot by the floor. One day, the the temperature gauge started shooting way up so I pulled over immediately. I checked the radiator and it was practically empty! I let it cool and then refilled the coolant. Ever since then, the gauge doesn't work at all and the car smells like it's running hot even though the coolant is full. There has also been some gunk in the radiator even though it was flushed a few years ago. I don't know where to start and I only have $700 right now.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to say, but check your stat. make sure its opening when it should, and not stuck closed.

Us LS1 guys that have a power steering cooler get cross contamination of coolant and PS fluid, making a mess in the engine, PS rack, and radiator. Pathetic design on GM's part.

As for leaks, small ones are tough to find. Anything from a leaking water pump gasket, to the pump itself, crack on the block with coolant going into the oil, or seeping out a head bolt hole (ive had that happen).
Old 12-20-2017, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pixel79
Hey, guys. Over the summer, I drove my mom's 97 Camaro and the A/C wasn't working. The car always smelled like coolant after driving it and always seemed to feel hot by the floor. One day, the the temperature gauge started shooting way up so I pulled over immediately. I checked the radiator and it was practically empty! I let it cool and then refilled the coolant. Ever since then, the gauge doesn't work at all and the car smells like it's running hot even though the coolant is full. There has also been some gunk in the radiator even though it was flushed a few years ago. I don't know where to start and I only have $700 right now.
I dont know what to say about the heat feeling. I doubt that your coolant temperatures alone would cause that, if the block were to get so hot that it heated up your floorpan to the point where you could FEEL it, you would have long warped your block and heads.. Its possible its just run-off heat from your HVAC system. Turn your temp gauge all the way to cold even with the HVAC fan off and see if you still feel the heat.

As for your gauge, if you ran out of coolant and overheated you may have destroyed your coolant temperature sensor. Its installed on the drivers side of the block on the LT1. try replacing it, they cost practically nothing.

Edit: I read there was gunk in your radiator and put 2+2 together... Someone probably tried to mix antifreeze and it gunked up everything and fowled out your coolant sensor.. you need a full coolant flush, the radiator, block, everything...refill with Green Coolant and replace the coolant sensor.. for the overheating, you can't really smell a engine overheating, you CAN smell antifreeze, but that doesn't necessarily mean overheating..that means a leak.. check the water pump and also the thermostat and all hoses, make sure nothing is leaking...

Quick Reply: Overheating, guage stopped, smells like coolant