General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 Trans Am Fog Lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98 Trans Am Fog Lights issue

Hi guys, I have searched and there are several threads for fog lights not working. However, My fog light will not light up . My fog light switch will not light up to show power on or illuminate back light. I have check every fuse , replace the relay. I used a test light to check power @ the switch ... Brown wire has power once I turn on the park light , There is another wire with power , but I don't remember the color , I think its for the illumination. The yellow wire ( from what I have read should be the power to the fog light , but I have no power when I toggle the switch. Now when I toggle the switch , the High beam indicator lights on the dash , with out the head lights on .. Any one have an idea about what's going on.? Anyone have a actual pin out for the fog switch for the 98 TA?

Thanks
Rich
Old 02-06-2018, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What position is the dimmer switch in? When in the high beam position, the Lt Green wire to the fog light relay changes to a positive potential. This change then applies the same potential to both sides to the fog light relay coil and the coil will not energize. I've attached copies of the fog light circuit schematics and a troubleshooting chart that may help.

Out of curiosity, try disconnecting the dimmer switch at the base of the steering column and see if the fog lights will turn on. If they do, I would check the dimmer switch for proper operation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pontiac Fog Lights.pdf (284.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf
Headlight Dimmer Switch.pdf (29.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't mention if the high beam lights work. The fog light relay coil ground runs through the high beam lamp elements. A bad connection in a connector at the lights or burnt out bulbs might also explain why you're seeing the high beam dash indicator on. The relay coil circuit is seeking a ground and the only other path is through the indicator light in the dash.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update : everything is working as it should . Problem turned out to be a bad connector on the sub harness at the High beam . Thanks for every ones help.
Thx

Quick Reply: 98 Trans Am Fog Lights issue