General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help on my 6,000 original mile 2001 Z28 - Starter cranks 3 - 4 seconds and stops

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need help on my 6,000 original mile 2001 Z28 - Starter cranks 3 - 4 seconds and stops

Need a little help please...

My 6,000 original mile 2001 Z28 that I bought new is having a problem cranking where it cranks for 3 or 4 seconds each time I try it, then it stops and I crank it again, but it only cranks 3 or 4 seconds each time.

I installed new fully charged and tested Interstate battery. And again when I turn the key the starter engages properly, but only cranks for 3 or 4 seconds, then I have to turn the key all the way off, and it repeats the same thing, only spinning the motor over for 3 or 4 seconds, then stops.

Who else has experienced this same thing? And what did you find that was the problem? What did you do to repair it?

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Not sure why it stops cranking after 3 or 4 seconds, but the other concern is: why isn't it starting before needing to crank for as long as 3 or 4 seconds? Old fuel? Bad pump (do you hear it priming)? Based on the age and mileage, I'd guess that the issue is more likely on the fuel side than the spark side, but who knows. Wires could have been chewed by rodents during storage, etc. How long did it sit since the last time that it started normally? When operating properly, then never need 3-4 seconds of cranking time to fire up (mine have always fired within about 1 second).
Old 02-17-2018, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Pull the plugs and see if it spins over, It may be tying to hydro lock with one injector running wide open, stuck open..
Old 02-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Why is the starter only cranking 3 or 4 seconds and then stopping?

It should of course spin the engine over as long as the key is cranking it like all cars normally do.

I appreciate the guesses, but who of you have had this issue, and what did you do to fix it?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Default 2001 Z28 Starter only cranks 3 or 4 seconds and then stops - Need Help

Need help please...

My 6,000 original mile 2001 Z28 that I bought new is having a problem cranking where it cranks for 3 or 4 seconds each time I try it, then it stops and I crank it again, but it only cranks 3 or 4 seconds each time.

I installed new fully charged and tested Interstate battery. And again when I turn the key the starter engages properly, but only cranks for 3 or 4 seconds, then I have to turn the key all the way off, and it repeats the same thing, only spinning the motor over for 3 or 4 seconds, then stops.

Who of you have had this same thing happen to your similar year 2001 Camaro or Trans Am? And what did you find that was the problem? What did you do to repair it?

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

^ Aren't you concerned about why it's not starting during those 3-4 seconds of cranking? Finding the answer to this might also help answer why it stops cranking. Under proper operating conditions, it shouldn't need to crank that long in the first place. Is the fuel pump priming? Do other electrical accessories continue to work even when the engine stops cranking? Any known issues with the security system/VATS in the past? How long has it been since the car started normally? What sort of environment is it stored in? Any sign of rodents getting into the interior or engine bay wiring (specifically in the area of the starter and fuel pump relay) or exhaust system?

Nobody can be of much help to you without further information.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No wonder it only has 6,000 miles, the dang thang wont start

For real though, someone here should be able to get you going again
Old 02-17-2018, 10:26 PM
Launching!

I've owned it from new. No prior issues.

No signs of environmental or rodent problems.

Started properly when parked. Have driven it from time to time over the years without any issues or problems.

Now that I think about it, it probably only cranks for 1 or 2 seconds at a time.

Not concerned about fuel or spark, just trying to find out why it only cranks for a second or two and stops. Almost acts as if a battery cable is loose at the battery or the stater solenoid, but connections are tight.

Anyone experience this issue on their car?

I do not think it has anything to do with VATS as the Security light on the dash is not on... and as I understand it, it would not even crank at all if VATS is any part of the problem.

Anyone had this problem before?

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 02-18-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Bad solenoid on starter or the starter is drawing too many amps. Replace the starter and solenoid. But first check your grounds.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Will the starter crank at all, even a little bit, If VATS has an issue??

Old 02-18-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check battery terminals for corrosion or bad connection?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Launching!

That's the type of thing it is doing, it acts like a loose battery cable on the battery end or on the starter solenoid end.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Launching!

...but both ends of the cables are tight.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 PM
Launching!

What the heck?!? How does something like this happen when nothing different has been done and nothing has been changed or modified?

Hopefully someone who has experienced this will chime in and tell us what the issue was and how to correct it.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly sounds like a battery being a nightmare and has you chasing your tail. Do all the dash lights stay on once it stops cranking? or do they all shut off and you have to cycle it back to power it all back up? Whats the voltage doing at the battery when you attempt to crank it (put a volt meter on it and have someone watch it)?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
Do all the dash lights stay on once it stops cranking? or do they all shut off and you have to cycle it back to power it all back up? Whats the voltage doing at the battery when you attempt to crank it (put a volt meter on it and have someone watch it)?
I asked a question similar to this earlier, but the OP didn't answer.

I also mentioned checking the starter relay, maybe swapping it with the ignition relay to see if cranking duration improves (though the car obviously still wouldn't start if the bad relay was moved to the ignition function, but at least if cranking duration improved then he'd know to replace that relay entirely).
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Launching!

It does act like a bad battery or a bad battery cable connection, but I installed a new fully charged and tested proper application Interstate battery, and checked both ends of both battery cables at both ends, and all were tight. Still cranks for only a second or two at a time, then stops, but everything else including dash and even headlights stay on and operate properly without any flickering or other odd behavior.

Never any issues previously since new.

I am hoping someone who experienced this will chime in to say what it is and how they fixed this.

Thanks guys, you are sincerely appreciated.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
It does act like a bad battery or a bad battery cable connection, but I installed a new fully charged and tested proper application Interstate battery, and checked both ends of both battery cables at both ends, and all were tight. Still cranks for only a second or two at a time, then stops, but everything else including dash and even headlights stay on and operate properly without any flickering or other odd behavior.

Never any issues previously since new.

I am hoping someone who experienced this will chime in to say what it is and how they fixed this.

Thanks guys, you are sincerely appreciated.

OK, so it doesn't sound like the battery itself is the issue based on this description.

Still wondering if you have tried swapping the ING and STARTER relays, to see if cranking duration improves. That's what I would do next, as described above, based on what you've already tried and described so far. If it then cranks indefinitely like it should, but still doesn't start, then you know that the relay is bad (only now it's serving the ignition function - so then just replace that relay with a new one.)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Would a relay cause this? I thought a relay was either good or bad, that they either worked or they did not work?

Surely someone has encountered this problem before??