Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Question cold air intake question

Hi. Need help. I need a silicone adapter that will take me from an 6.125"x2" oval to 3" dia.

I am having no luck. here is what filter i want:

just need to go from 3" to the shape of the oval. what have you all done? don't want to pay $400 for a kit

thanks for any advice.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you up to speed on the damage the oil on these filters do to stock emissions controls?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah - i am - but do you really need to oil them? that im not sure of
Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bleepster
No you do not. I have not in years.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that's what i thought.

so............doesn't anyone make an after market adapter?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Save the manuals!

All the ones I've seen come pre-oiled and we've had several members here (myself included) where that was enough to foul the MAF and other sensors.

Without oil and clumped debris caught in the screen, these have wider pores, which means more dirt gets through and into the engine. If you aren't on a track, you may end up with better mid-term performance with paper.

that's what i thought.

so............doesn't anyone make an after market adapter?
All the ones I've seen come with the filters from the suppliers who sell or manufacture them. The oval adapters are a little less common, but some of the manufacturers make them.

You may have to switch brands to find what you are after for a reasonable price. I recall a similar question/tread on this a long time ago and recall that we found a place that had every adapter under the sun - but it was a small fortune (several orders of magnitude more than the filter itself) to score the custom/rare adapter.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Oh, that's a K&N air filter. They are particularly rigid. Not only are they MAF-deniers, but they don't offer many adapters.

If you check out some of their competitors, you will find oval air filters, where they make adapters that fit the filter and then take it down to various sizes of round tube.

(If you haven't guessed... I have a major beef with K&N and see evil in their logo.)

Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Save the manuals!

If you search for "Oval Air Filter Adapter" on the web, you'll get some options. For example, this might be a good one. I remember this option has come up in previous conversations: https://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=863-042

It's an oil-less model (they make oiled versions, also), which will give you the same fitment, and surface area you are after. It's for a Corvette, so I assume (I'm not sure) that the throttle body attachment is in the wheelhouse where no adapter would be needed.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks much wssix99 - I have seen that - hard to believe they want $200 for it
Old 03-07-2018, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99

Without oil and clumped debris caught in the screen, these have wider pores, which means more dirt gets through and into the engine. If you aren't on a track, you may end up with better mid-term performance with paper.
wssix99, any particular brand of paper filter you'd recommend?
Old 03-07-2018, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AEM dry flow filters are an excellent choice. Spectre performance has some nice options as well. Both are non oiled filters.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by coryforsenate
wssix99, any particular brand of paper filter you'd recommend?
No. lol

After my K&N experience where I lost 150 hp going after that magical "5-7 hp gain", I don't worry too much about the air filter and just get whatever is on the shelf. (I'm sure this is a bigger deal for people racing the car for money. I don't do it for looks, either... At the point someone wants to open my hood and look under my scoop to inspect what "kind of air filter I'm running", they are going to get popped in the nose.)

In general, I would have a preference for surface area (number and depth of pleats) over opening up the pore size to get more air flow.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Save the manuals!

thanks much wssix99 - I have seen that - hard to believe they want $200 for it
I assume that's a retail price - and may be a bargain when you take into account that an adapter isn't needed.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess i'll see if my local auto parts store can order me one to "look at" the Spectre one is what I need, but it appears the connection is at an angle.

cant fathom why this is a $400 part:

Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW I have had K&N filters on 2 of my vehicles for 20 years. Have cleaned and re-oiled them a few times. You need to be frugal with the amount of oil you spray on them after cleaning and let them sit overnight to evenly absorb the oil.

MAF, or any other part of intake, has never suffered from any oil contamination as a result in using the K&N....YMMV

I do feel new in box oil filters seem to be a little heavy on the oil so I use compressed air to blow through them and let them sit out in the sun for the day to dry out

I have also carefully cleaned MAF's on my vehicles as part of "maintenance" and none had what I would call any amount of debris on them as a result of using a K&N

I think what happens to people who do experience oil contaminating the MAF is the filter is over oiled be it N.I.B. one or re-oiled after cleaning was to heavy

Just noting my experience with K&N. Nothing wrong with using dry or paper filter if that is ones choice

I think the more important aspect of any "performance" gain is to isolate the air filter with some form of shielding that minimizes or eliminates engine compartment heated air entering the filter (read gets air into filter from outside the engine compartment) vs the filter composition itself. A "homemade" version is what people have done for a C.A.I. for low $ or you pay for something like a K&N or Airaid "kit" that is more plug & play and has a more "finished" look to it and typically isolates the filter from engine compartment heat better than home made shielding does
Attached Thumbnails cold air intake question-dsc06270.jpg   cold air intake question-dsc06271.jpg  

Last edited by BALLSS; 03-08-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack this thread further, but I too have become a believer in paper filters and factory air boxes. I just upgrade the duct work as necessary for flow needs. Just isolate hot air as best possible. The factory box and filter actually flow very well when new and clean.