General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new (to me) alternator upgrade

Old 05-11-2018, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new (to me) alternator upgrade

at a junkyard near me and there is a 2004 Tahoe with the alternator still there (most trucks and SUVs I see theyre gone) , I noticed on this particular Tahoes RPO codes theres a KG3, is that the right alternator for the upgrade from the OEM alternator I have in my 2000 TA? Anything else I should know about this install would be grteatly appreciated. Oh and yes I will be getting that alternator tested before I decide to install.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure this is what you are after? There is a common misconception that going to a larger alternator is an "upgrade".

Quality and size are mutually exclusive.

Do you have any specific goals for your alternator? For example, if you are after a true "upgrade", you could get a Powermaster and then pick whatever size you need for your build. (You can also get different power options in the stock alternator form factor.)
Old 05-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Search. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...failure-s.html
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
Are you sure this is what you are after? There is a common misconception that going to a larger alternator is an "upgrade".<br /><br />Quality and size are mutually exclusive.<br /><br />Do you have any specific goals for your alternator? For example, if you are after a true "upgrade", you could get a Powermaster and then pick whatever size you need for your build. (You can also get different power options in the stock alternator form factor.)
Got the "bigger" alternator and noticed a huge difference. It's like my window motors came back to life lol. From what I remember it was a 145amp alternator 🤔
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Got the "bigger" alternator and noticed a huge difference. It's like my window motors came back to life lol. From what I remember it was a 145amp alternator 🤔
You probably had a bad voltage regulator on the old alternator and any good alternator (of any size) would have given you an improvement. (The greater current from the alternator wouldn't change the draw from the windows, but an increase in voltage would allow them to revive more power.)

Search this Thread