General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'99 Z28 - Power Steering Rack Replacement Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Z28 - Power Steering Rack Replacement Issue

I've tried to work my way through this problem, but haven't figure it out. So I thought that I would turn to LS1tech ....

I've replaced my '99 Z28 power steering rack. I bought a Cardone unit from RockAuto, who I've used for parts many times and have been happy.

The new rack is installed, the steering wheel is in the center position with the wheel level horizontally. Both front wheels are straight ahead, although I know that I need to have an alignment completed to make it accurate. The problems is that the front wheels turn to each side differently. From center, the steering wheel turns to the drivers side approx. 1 1/3 revolutions, and from center to the passenger side approx.7/8ths revolution. So, while the steering wheel is in the correct position, it appears that the steering rack isn't centered side to side. At first, I thought that I could disconnect the steering knuckle from the rack, and turn the input shaft 1/2 revolution and reconnect the steering knuckle. But the input shaft is notched on one side only, so it's a full 360deg revolution or nothing. But then it seems that my problem would just be reversed, with the tighter turning radius being on the passenger side vice the drivers side.

I didn't remove the steering shaft knuckle from the steering wheel section the shaft, so nothing changed there.

Is this simply something that gets worked out during alignment?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the rack wasn't centered when it was rebuilt, or it was moved off center when it was installed. For the F-body, the whistle notch should be at the 3 o'clock position when centered. If it isn't, we can rebuild it properly and center it correctly for you. That isn't something that will be fixed in an alignment.

Thanks,
Junior
Turn One