General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling system help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system help!!

Hi guys! Haven’t been on here in awhile. Good to be back!

I really need some help with my 99 SS. I had it getting hot a couple of days ago. So I went ahead and put a new thermostat in it. Just filled it with water to make sure everything was good. Drove it for a day, kept cool. Ran great. No leaks. So this morning I decided to go ahead and drain the radiator and put coolant and water back in it. Just finished that. Took it for a drive. It starts heating back up again. I put a failsafe thermostat in it. So I dont think that’s the problem. Iam just so frustrated. It ran fine yesterday with just water, put coolant in it gets hot. Please help!! I already replaced the radiator about 2 years ago. So I don’t think it’s that. All the hoses are new too as of a couple of months ago. I don’t know if it’s the water pump now or what.
Also checked the engine oil. Is perfect. Not milky looking at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Iam really getting upset!!
Running out of ideas of what is going on.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

air pockets ? be sure to bleed the system of any air
Old 06-24-2018, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

She needs to burp!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These cars are not set up right from the factory, so it's harder to burp. I added a burp tank to mine like all the newer cars have to fix it. You can pull the line from the bubble tube at the radiator while it's running to allow air out. Probably pull it until water comes out and put it back on for a little bit and do it again. Would also help to do it with the front on jack stands.

Here is a picture of my tank. I had some extra room where the stock ECU once was.

Not where anyone would look for this Forstbite cap.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I've just remove the steam vent line until coolant comes out, Seems to remove any trapped air. Done it a few times and never had an issue after swapping engines or draining all the coolant for other reasons.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldnt the steam pipes naturally burp the trapped air?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It does when it's setup correctly. Look at all new cars and trucks and you will find every car of any brand has the same style tank that is above everything else to do this. The 4th gen it leads down to the radiator so the flow isn't always up which allows air to be trapped. I built a motor for a drifter and he wouldn't listen to me about adding the tank, but after he had issues I pulled the bubble tube of and burped that system. Once that worked he added the tank I wanted him to add in the beginning.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Just fill the reservoir to the correct level with coolant, then top off the radiator and leave the cap off and start the engine. Once started the coolant level will drop as it enters the engine and just keep adding coolant until its full. Let it run for a few minutes while monitoring the temperature and if everything is good then close the cap and your done. You should also be seeing circulation in the radiator during engine operation as the thermostat opens and closes.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarogirl99SS
It ran fine yesterday with just water, put coolant in it gets hot.
Technically, water moves heat more efficiently than coolant, so that could have something to do with the problem.

If you put the engine through a few heating cycles, the air should work it's way out of the system and into the overflow tank. Just top off the tank and make sure there is no air in top of the radiator.

^ Have you been able to bleed the air out and confirm that isn't the issue?

Quick Reply: Cooling system help!!