General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window won't roll down or up, but window motor still runs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Window won't roll down or up, but window motor still runs

So we all know that 1993 -2002 F-bodies are notorious for having window issues and sadly I just encountered my first window gremlin. So as the title states, my driver side window cannot roll up or down, but if I click the window up/down button I can hear the motor working on the inside. I can push the window down manually by about 3 inches before it stops and cannot move any further down. I also have to pull the windows up manually after every time I am done driving. So does this mean my window regulator is broken? I searched throughout the site and most people have issues with the window motor and not the actual regulator. There aren't enough posts on how-to tutorials on regulators and even then I am not 100% sure that the window regulator is my problem...

Car in question is a 2001 Z28
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by INFERNY
So we all know that 1993 -2002 F-bodies are notorious for having window issues and sadly I just encountered my first window gremlin. So as the title states, my driver side window cannot roll up or down, but if I click the window up/down button I can hear the motor working on the inside. I can push the window down manually by about 3 inches before it stops and cannot move any further down. I also have to pull the windows up manually after every time I am done driving. So does this mean my window regulator is broken? I searched throughout the site and most people have issues with the window motor and not the actual regulator. There aren't enough posts on how-to tutorials on regulators and even then I am not 100% sure that the window regulator is my problem...

Car in question is a 2001 Z28
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would replace the regulator and the motor. The regulators do fail with pivot point rivet (not exactly sure how to describe it) cracking off the regulator frame.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

but if I click the window up/down button I can hear the motor working on the inside.
Usually, this happens when a replacement motor is attached to the regulator with bolts (instead of the factory rivets) and those bolts/nuts come loose.

So does this mean my window regulator is broken?
Usually, there won't be any problems unless one runs in the loose configuration for a while and the gears grind. ... then destruction follows. If you get in there to check, be careful! The only thing keeping the regulator spring in check is the weight of the window, so you don't want to take the regulator out of the door. You'll want to secure this situation with everything in the door, otherwise the regulator spring could pop off/explode when you start taking parts out. (The motor's gear, secured to the regulator keeps everything locked up tight.)

Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find any write ups or diagrams showing how the regulator fits/moves. If I could see how it works it would help to visualize how I would go about removing it
Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

http://www.firebirdnation.com/pdf/windowreplacement.pdf

http://www.firebirdnation.com/pdf/wi...placement2.pdf

Video showing the working parts of the regulator.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I can't find any write ups or diagrams showing how the regulator fits/moves. If I could see how it works it would help to visualize how I would go about removing it
DON'T remove the regulator. This is the worst thing you can possibly do. Since your motor is likely not firmly attached, it could be dangerous and/or do damage to the door.

If you take the door panel off and take the door speaker out, you can get an inspection mirror inside the door and see what's going on.

Another thing - when you remove the regulator, you need special rivets (only available from GM) and an industrial riveter to put it back in. The regulator cannot be bolted to the door because the bolts damage the composite material.