General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fans not coming on. High speed only when jumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Fans not coming on. High speed only when jumped

Fans stopped coming on today.

I jumped the dark green and dark blue wires at the connector on the passenger side to ground.

High speed comes on if I jump it.

Low speed just clicks the relay.

Checked all fuses. Tried new relays.

Local tuner guy says it might be a glitch in the ECM tune because I have been uploading lots of new tunes lately.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-31-2018, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

When you ground both dark green and dark blue wires, you should get high speed fans - those are the relay coil control wires. If you ground only the dark green wire, you should get low speed fans. If so, that indicates that your relays and wiring are good with the possible exception of those two wires between where you applied ground and the PCM. It would be easy to test continuity on those two wires between the PCM and the relays. But unless something has happened that would make you suspect wire damage, I would think the PCM is not providing the necessary ground to activate the relays.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Fans stopped coming on today.

I jumped the dark green and dark blue wires at the connector on the passenger side to ground.

High speed comes on if I jump it.

Low speed just clicks the relay.

Checked all fuses. Tried new relays.

Local tuner guy says it might be a glitch in the ECM tune because I have been uploading lots of new tunes lately.

Any other suggestions?
Mine did that to me at the track and ended my day^^Which is why I put in two new seperate relays not connected to PCM. Turn the key on and both fans are wide *** open. No more cooling issues
Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Overnight I let the car sit. I jumped both pins and the car turns on high speed now. Maybe I was doing it wrong last night?

This morning the fans fans were on when AC was on but shut off after a few minutes and let the car go to 265 F.

Tried jumping the wires to ground now while at work. Nothing. Fans don’t turn on. Relays click but fans don’t come on. So bad power wire somewhere?

Last edited by Gripenfelter; 08-31-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are two fuses for the fans in the junction box under the hood. The 10 amp mini fuse is for the relay control - it should be fine since you hear the relays activate. The 40 amp maxi fuse is what actually powers the fans. It may be blown if you're getting relay action but no fans.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Started the car. Every warning light came on my dash. I heard a click. Now my fans work again. I did nothing.