General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt Tensioner Assembly Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
dayco makes the metal pulleys for the a/c.....the most wear i find is the pulley on the alt bracket
Just to add some additional information, there was a revised alternator bracket released by GM for the '98 to mid-'00 cars to help with this concern (I believe the pulley mounting location is moved by 3mm with this updated piece). The revised bracket also requires a different pulley.

I don't have the TSB or part numbers handy at the moment, but it should be searchable under "revised alternator bracket" or something like this.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1711

hi yes you’re exactly right. When I start my car the car squeaks when the car is cold but when it gets warm the noise goes away. If I leave the car how it is would it affect the car in anyway? Are you saying it best to replace the whole best assembly or the just the pulley with the belt? Thank you for your help
We think that your pulley's are likely the problem and not necessarily the tensioner. (We do not believe that business about the belt slipping is true.)

As the engine (and the grease in the pulleys) heats up, that noise may be going away.

We are saying that you should replace all of the pulleys on each belt at the same time. Suppose the misunderstanding about belt slipping is taken off the table and the pulley on the tensioner is the one squeaking... The car is old and it's only a matter of time until another one of the pulleys goes.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

please watch this video. I did and bought a Gates. At 2:50 in the video is the informative part.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
At 2:50 in the video is the informative part.
This seems consistent with what the "mechanic" is calling out, but the OP's symptoms don't appear to be fitting with the scenario as they go away when the engine warms up.