General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Acdelco belt tensioner assembley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acdelco belt tensioner assembley?

Hi so I recently purchased a belt tensioner assembler online. The box says ac delco but the part itself says litens. This part specially is a whole different brand. I can’t seem to find that ac delco works with the manufacture called litens. I called AC DELCO and they have no clue and are saying that the part can say that. The part is pretty expensive since it is a original gm part. Does anybody know about this?
Old 09-24-2018, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you get it from a reputable seller ? to many china fakes out there.......
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a refund.

Buy the Katech fixed tensioner. That is how tensioners should be designed......The GM tensioner is garbage and it never should have been made that way to be flexible with a spring. But they know it will fail and that sells replacement parts......its all about profits.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
you get it from a reputable seller ? to many china fakes out there.......
it was purchase from Amazon since ACDelco had wrote on their website as the parts supplier being sold from Amazon.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Get a refund.

Buy the Katech fixed tensioner. That is how tensioners should be designed......The GM tensioner is garbage and it never should have been made that way to be flexible with a spring. But they know it will fail and that sells replacement parts......its all about profits.

Hi do you know what’s the part number for a 98 Pontiac firebird for the part name you gave. Do they have the whole assembly of the belt tensioner with the idle pulley? How long do they typically last? What about the Ac delco belt are they good to put on? Also when do you suppose to replace the belt? How often? How many miles?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike1711

Hi do you know what’s the part number for a 98 Pontiac firebird for the part name you gave. Do they have the whole assembly of the belt tensioner with the idle pulley? How long do they typically last? What about the Ac delco belt are they good to put on? Also when do you suppose to replace the belt? How often? How many miles?
You use the same belt. And the Katech will last 100 years. There's no spring....its a fixed non-movable part. It has a spinning pulley that can burn up a bearing, but its fixed. Mine is now 16 years old.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 PM
Banned

https://store.katechengines.com/bill...sioner-p2.aspx

Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Hi is this only the tensioner. I’m looking for the full assembly which has the idle pulley. Will this still work?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Banned

Oh....another thing the garbage GM tensioner causes......belts to wear out way earlier than they should.

I swear....the belt on my car is from 2002 after my Katech went on. I boght a new belt and a spare belt. I still have that spare belt in the back of my car..........If they don't bounce around and get jerked on....from when you smack the throttle, they simply last and last and last......

I think my spare belt may get dry-rotted from non-use before my current belt breaks....lol

Old 09-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned

Hi is this only the tensioner. I’m looking for the full assembly which has the idle pulley. Will this still work?
The pulley is included with the Katech tensioner....

Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The part is pretty expensive since it is a original gm part. Does anybody know about this?
AC Delco is NOT GM. They haven't been for the better part of a decade. (Maybe more. I forget.) Sometimes they happen to be the same part. Often times they are different. The only place that sells GM parts is a dealer. They come in GM boxes.

AC Delco is a separate brand, now. That being said, you may have the right thing. You may have the wrong thing. AC Delco doesn't always manufacture their own stuff. Like GM, they will take other people's parts and put it in their box. I'd suggest going to a brick and mortar store and finding the same part. Go take a look at it and see what is in their box.

Buy the Katech fixed tensioner.
This is not good advice when we don't know anything about the car, it's use, or the OP's goals. Fixed tensioners have their place - but on a VAST minority of the cars out on the road. If the case were different, the car's would have come with them from the factory... (It's a much less expensive part, BTW.)

Putting a high maintenance part (like a fixed tensioner) on a daily driver doesn't make sense when a stock tensioner will be zero maintenance for it's life and will ensure that the driver doesn't end up stranded by the side of the road...

Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The stock-type tensioner is fine for a stock engine operated under normal conditions and within stock rpm limits. A fixed tensionser is not necessary in such an application, but it could certainly be something to consider for various sorts of modified applications.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is not good advice when we don't know anything about the car, it's use, or the OP's goals. Fixed tensioners have their place - but on a VAST minority of the cars out on the road. If the case were different, the car's would have come with them from the factory... (It's a much less expensive part, BTW.)

Putting a high maintenance part (like a fixed tensioner) on a daily driver doesn't make sense when a stock tensioner will be zero maintenance for it's life and will ensure that the driver doesn't end up stranded by the side of the road...
Are you on drugs....LOL

High maintenance.......seriously, what idiot told you that a Katech fixed tensioner is high maintenance? Really....who told you this crap....?

I haven't touched my Katech tensioner since it was installed 16 years ago.....EXCEPT for OTHER reasons that I had to take the belt off. NOTHING to do with the Katech tensioner itself required me to touch it.

Also, the Katech tensioner is GREAT for any car....bone stock to 1,500 RWHP.......WHY....it allows the belt to live for an easy 10+ years. I'm going on 16 years. Those crap AC Delco tensioners do nothing but rag out belts and toss them in a lot of cases when people are getting aggressive with their driving. THAT LEAVES YOU STRANDED.

I have always had a spare belt in my car, a few tools and other little parts too. So again, you're wrong, the Katech is not responsible for anyone getting stranded on the side of the road. What a dumb thing to say.....LOL

People get stranded because they choose NOT to carry a few basic items with them in the back of the car ((for these LS engines)) that DO cause you to get stranded. I choose not to make that stupid decision.

And....my belt cannot in a million years, no matter how I drive my car.....get tossed off with the Katech fixed belt tensioner. Go ask the Corvette C7 race team why they have been using them for almost 20 years.

Do you just post things for the hell of it sometimes.....LOL

Old 09-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The stock-type tensioner is fine for a stock engine operated under normal conditions and within stock rpm limits. A fixed tensionser is not necessary in such an application, but it could certainly be something to consider for various sorts of modified applications.
Absolutely true.....

But you're also DEAD wrong. Bone stock cars throw belts all the time, and its 100% because of that bouncing garbage tensioner when you drive aggressively.

But a Katech fixed tensioner makes the factory stock tensioner look like a piece of trash. IT NEVER WEARS OUT. IT NEVER GETS WEAK and NEEDS REPLACEMENT.

It extends belt life 5 fold or better. It cannot be tossed off. Factory BONE STOCK cars throw belts when people get on their cars hard.......CANNOT happen with a Katech tensioner. No belt squeal EVER.

Buy the Katech and you will save on buying 3-4 belts over a period of time, where you will use one belt over that same period. BAM....you just paid for the Katech tensioner and you get all the other positives along with it. AND....you are ready when you/if you decide to mod the engine.

Now lets hear why its a bad choice for any car......LOL

Its like talking to a wall sometimes in here......LOL

Old 09-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Banned

OH.....and the Katech looks SO MUCH nicer than that AC Delco.....nasty, rough, dull monstrosity of an ugly tensioner......

Old 09-26-2018, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Absolutely true.....

But you're also DEAD wrong. Bone stock cars throw belts all the time, and its 100% because of that bouncing garbage tensioner when you drive aggressively.

But a Katech fixed tensioner makes the factory stock tensioner look like a piece of trash. IT NEVER WEARS OUT. IT NEVER GETS WEAK and NEEDS REPLACEMENT.

It extends belt life 5 fold or better. It cannot be tossed off. Factory BONE STOCK cars throw belts when people get on their cars hard.......CANNOT happen with a Katech tensioner. No belt squeal EVER.

Buy the Katech and you will save on buying 3-4 belts over a period of time, where you will use one belt over that same period. BAM....you just paid for the Katech tensioner and you get all the other positives along with it. AND....you are ready when you/if you decide to mod the engine.
This entire post reads like a bad infomercial. I halfway expected Gallagher to jump out and smash a watermelon.

But, getting back to reality, most folks won't be tossing belts on a stock engine at stock rpm limits. I went 110k miles on my stock '02 car, daily driven aggressively with plenty of WOT action on the highway, and never tossed a belt in all the years I owned it. I was not easy on that car. Only replaced the belt one time too, and that was just a matter of maintenance when I replaced the idler pulleys near ~100k miles.

So, I did not go through several belts with the stock tensioner, never tossed a belt, never got stranded due to a belt or tensioner issue. Nothing with the stock system was ever an issue on that stock car, even after all those miles and years.

Now lets hear why its a bad choice for any car......LOL
Something can be unnecessary without being "bad". The item itself is certainly not bad, it works great in applications where it's needed. But this piece is simply not necessary for every application. For example, *I* would have seen zero benefit from this on my stock '02 car because, in all the years I owned it, I didn't have any issue which this tensioner could have resolved.

Its like talking to a wall sometimes in here......LOL
No kidding. A combative, insulting wall.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I still have my factory tensioners with 334,000 miles. And yes .. I do keep a spare belt, rachet and 15mm in the back. To each his own.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Hi so I recently purchased a belt tensioner assembler online.
Sorry your thread has digressed, here. You should at least receive a free Katech polo shirt and sleeve of Katech golf ***** for enduring it. If you do decide to regress back to a 1970's design for the tensioner, we'll throw in a mini disco ball to hang under the hood; so everything under there keeps looking really classy.

Please keep us updated on how things go. We are really interested in what you find with this part and who the true manufacturer might be.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

standard spring belt tensioner, like belts, are a "wear" item. There is a reference mark on tensioners you can see to monitor belt stretch (thus the tensioner decreases force because the belt is now longer) and both should be replaced if the tensioner has over 50k mi on it.

rockauto is likely the best $ for replacement. Gates or Dayco are decent. IMHO get one with a metal vs plastic pully. AC Delco is just a brand name, not what it was when it made GM parts. Most of their stuff is now made offshore now

Basic general maintenance stuff.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the standard spring belt tensioner have symptoms when it's getting old related to performance, mileage, etc before the belt starts slipping?