General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration at low speed when brake is being lightly pushed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration at low speed when brake is being lightly pushed

I'm fairly certain this is a warped rotor issue but before I spend around $150 on a new front set (mine include the hub so they're more expensive and a little more work) I thought I'd ask if it could be something else.

Problem didn't start until I swapped the front brake pads. They were pretty worn. New pads on, coast at low speeds (20-30mph) with the brakes lightly pushed to slow down for a stoplight I noticed a vibration that feels like if the rotor was warped to where the pads make and lose contact repeatedly. Not noticeable at higher speeds or at low speeds but pushing the brakes harder.

I did have a bad master cyclinder / brake booster that required me to ride the brakes until I could replace them, so I'm sure the rotors got hot.

Oh, I did forget to grease the caliper bolts. I'll be doing that regardless but if that could cause this problem that'd be a really easy fix.

Last edited by coryforsenate; 10-07-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And, any recommendations on brands? Obviously ACDelco is an option, but are any of the store brands or aftermarkets like Duralast worth using?
Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Everything you’ve noted indicates the problem is likely with you brake hardware. New pads and rotors are a safe investment considering their recent history. I like to use 3M clear silicone paste for the caliper pins. Might be worth doing is a front end alignment first as bad alignment can cause vibration while braking as well. But if this all started after installing new pads then that might be your answer.