General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

6.0l stalls when decelerating to a stop light.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.0l stalls when decelerating to a stop light.

My 04 gto is stalling when push in the clutch and let go of gas while slowing down to a stop light. I usually have to tap the throttle to keep it from shutting off. After I tap the gas a little bit it idles fine at the stop light. The car drives fine when moving around, I just can’t figure out why it does this? It’s like it decelerates and there’s nothing there to keep the idle from dropping too low. I’ve checked many threads of similar issues but they don’t report back once they fixed the issue. Hopefully there’s an easy fix to this.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Does it do the same thing when you come to a stop sign? J/K.

Try cleaning the throttle body.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TA_Freak

lol. I’ll try doing that, you think the butterfly could be gunked up? I’m thinking my idle air valve could be bad, just waiting on more replies to see if this issue is common
Old 10-14-2018, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TA_Freak

I cleaned the throttle body and its still doing the same. I also replaced the idle air valve and still the same.
the cars running really rich, I can smell it and it hard to drive with the windows open. not to mention my mpgs show like 4, sometimes 1!!. im thinking it shuts off because it getting too much gas at one time??
Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

After doing some tests, I find out that if I throw the car in neutral and just roll to a stop from far away, the car won’t shut off when I stop. The rpms get really low but not enough to stall the engine. Now if I decelerate while in gear then at the last minute throw it in neutral before I stop it WILL shut off every time. Still trying to narrow it down......
Old 11-03-2018, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I just FIXED the problem! The vacuum system was where the problem was. previous owner put a breather on the pcv valve on the driver side valve cover.Then ran a hose from a fitting coming out of the left side of the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover. all I did was run a hose from fitting on left side of Tb to pcv valve on drivers side valve cover. and put the breather on the passenger side valve cover , basically a switcharoo and no more issues. drove 5 miles city/highway, and no stalls. The car doesn't smell like gas from the outside anymore either. hope this helps anyone with a similar issue
Old 11-04-2018, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You may have fixed the issue. Regardless, I will share my experience. I have 5.3L suburban and during hard stops it would occasionally stall. I cleaned the MAF and did nothing else and it hasn't stalled since.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
You may have fixed the issue. Regardless, I will share my experience. I have 5.3L suburban and during hard stops it would occasionally stall. I cleaned the MAF and did nothing else and it hasn't stalled since.
yeah I cleaned the maf cleaned the throttle body , replaced idle air valve, tps, map sensor and still had the problem. Guess my vacuum system hoses were routed to the wrong locations. But I guess it helps to have all the mentioned parts replaced. Drove the car all weekend, about 25 miles and no stalling anymore.

Search this Thread