General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heater core vs intake manifold leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core vs intake manifold leak

02 3.8L camaro.

Car had rising temps, shut it off, had it towed.

Got it home, started it the next day. As it gets close to 180 degrees, I notice a small coolant drip passenger side behind the motor.

This leads me to be possible heater core inlets but is there a reliable way to rule out intake manifold?

I was low on coolant, level was midway up radiator, would that cause temp spikes or would intake gasket leak introduce air into the system causing the overheating?

I did notice a nasty smell when I got back into the car, this leads me further to believe heater core. I keep the car under cover and immaculate inside which was why it caught me off guard.

I've replaced the radiator, hoses and thermo when the radiator cracked, plan on doing a new water pump and metal elbows this time around. I just don't want to assume intake gaskets when the culprit is heater core.

Thank you

Last edited by Dieselrob; 10-12-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rent or borrow a radiator pressure test kit so you can pressurize the coolant system and check for leaks while the engine is off and cold. It’ll be much easier to narrow down this way. Even then, a heater core leak can be tricky as it’s hidden a bit.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok will do.

If it turns out to be the heater core, I may end up bypassing as I live in Florida and never use the heater. This is my save miles on my new vehicles car/commuter.

im assuming the hoses are the same size regardless of engine, 3/4" in and 5/8" out to the heater core?

Thank you.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

It's not an always thing, but usually when you have a musty smell inside you'll find an issue with moisture getting in the carpet. I'd start by pulling up the carpet on the passenger foot well and see if the padding is wet.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselrob
Ok will do.

If it turns out to be the heater core, I may end up bypassing as I live in Florida and never use the heater. This is my save miles on my new vehicles car/commuter.

im assuming the hoses are the same size regardless of engine, 3/4" in and 5/8" out to the heater core?

Thank you.
In that case it’s probably easier to bypass the heater core now. If your leaks go away, then you’re done!!

And yes I believe you’re correct on the heater hose sizes. I sometimes check the rockauto online catalog to cross reference part numbers or sizes like this.