General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

And now for something completely different - spark plug unscrews itself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default And now for something completely different - spark plug unscrews itself?

Leaving a store about a mile from my house, I started my car and it immediately experienced a loud popping sound from the engine compartment that changed with engine speed. Engine kept running, so I nursed it home. What I found was unbelievable - the number one spark plug was hanging by the spark plug wire connected to the coil! Once engine cooled down, I checked everything out and found "nothing wrong". Cleaned a bunch or carbon off the outer part of the plug and was able to re-thread it back into its proper location. Started car up and it ran fine. Now, here's the kicker - I last changed the plugs about 3 years ago, so this has been slowly unraveling (probably from it not being torqued properly). I would have thought that the tension in the spark plug wire would have prevented the plug from turning. Now need to check the other plugs to ensure they're tight. Was going to change them when I install headers, a project that I've been holding off for about a year now.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

use proper TQ spec ?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

+1 on proper torque. The correct value is low, but using a torque wrench should get them in proper such that they won't wiggle out.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

are you sure somebody is not messing with you? I've heard of spark plug wire popping off but. Whenever I remove a spark plug wire, most always it's a struggle to get it off, I cannot imagine the spark plug unscrewing in the boot. On another note...

Q. What's the difference between a light bulb and a women?

A. the light bulb you can un-screw.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

With aluminum heads, I'm a fan of using a torque wrench set to 11 pounds for plug changes. Definitely would check the rest of them.

BTW - Couple of friends had a good laugh at me for using a torque wrench set to 11 foot pounds to tighten the plugs on my 99 TA back in 1999 when going to TR-55's. Ten or so plug changes later the plug threads are still in good shape. Later, one of those friends stripped a plug thread in an aluminum cylinder head going by feel.

The casual enthusiasts like me doesn't do this sort of stuff all the time. Often we either under torque or over torque when going by feel. We just don't develop the "feel" an expert gets over the years. Using the torque wrench is a little fiddly but worked very well for me.

New alum LS head the torque spec is 14 foot pounds if I recall correctly

Old 11-03-2018, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
are you sure somebody is not messing with you? I've heard of spark plug wire popping off but. Whenever I remove a spark plug wire, most always it's a struggle to get it off, I cannot imagine the spark plug unscrewing in the boot. On another note...

Q. What's the difference between a light bulb and a women?

A. the light bulb you can un-screw.
Yeah, this is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced, especially considering that the plug was installed several years ago! I check other plugs (except #8) and all were good and tight.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I never have this issue....I change my plugs every year.....just because its too damn cheap not to.