General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Metal in Oil 11,000km after rebuilt engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal in Oil 11,000km after rebuilt engine

(VZ 2005 Holden V8 ls1 G3 engine) The ute was not idling correctly under load and trying to stall, It was 400km off from service so i thought i will get it done. During the service this morning we looked for any loss of vacuum that could cause the ute to idle rough and did not find anything visual. We didn't have a diagnostic machine to plug in etc to look at it any further but what we did find was fine metal filings on the sump plug.The engine was rebuilt last year around September 2017.

After rebuild the engine was started and run in at the shop then serviced. Picked up the Ute and drove for a 1000kms and serviced it - all was good. Did another 5000 kms and was serviced - all was good. Now i have serviced it at 10,000 km and there are fine metal shavings on the sump plug and in the filter.

Could the idle problem and metal filings be related to a possible cam movement or any other problem causing metal filings? it shouldn't have any filings in the oil? or can there be still some residual from the engine wearing in? It was a total rebuild new forged pistons,valves , rods and rockers a new performance cam ,new oil pump etc.. I didn't do the rebuild i brought the ute already done from a mate. total kms since rebuild 11,000 km.

What sort of problems could has caused this to happen between the 5000km and 10,000km service to have idling issues and metal in oil...I have only driven 200 km since i brought it and can i still drive it?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Highlander18
what we did find was fine metal filings on the sump plug
Some of this is normal. That's why the magnet is on the end of the plug! Do you have a picture to share?

Old 11-24-2018, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned some small amounts of magnetic material is normal. If oil pressure is good, engine pulls strong and no abnormal noises present I would think the engine is healthy. One option for peace of mind could be an oil analysis. Is this service available where you are?
Old 11-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Thank for your reply. I am here in New Zealand so time differences are big to be able to reply in a timely manner sorry
No Photos
Old 11-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply..I am not sure what is available to test what sort of metal it is here in NZ. The engine re-builders have been in touch and want to take a look. The engine is awesome...Strong , no noises, no smoke or fuel smell in the oil. Just filings on sump and in filter... It want Idle very well and try's to still and can stall, could this be due to an issue with the cam? its a performance cam (not standard) and from the records the engine re-builders had to machine something for it fit the block? Could this be wearing leading to metal in the oil?

Last edited by Highlander18; 11-25-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-26-2018, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Here are some threads that show normal shavings. In the last thread, I link to some bad things (in addition to normal shavings) that would cause concern.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...rain-plug.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-6-2-ls3.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ngine-oil.html
Old 11-30-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rough idle may just be a tuning issue.