General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Missing any parts? Steering rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing any parts? Steering rebuild

I have the how to guides, so far I have new key cylinder, turn signal switch, turn signal cam and springs.

Is the wiper switch built into the lever assembly?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NBIJ8SW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Any other parts I'm missing? I really dont want to pull it apart again, so I want to hit all the typical wear items the first time.

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2018, 04:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What kind of vehicle?
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Whoops sorry 02 camaro
Old 11-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Pestilence
I have the how to guides, so far I have new key cylinder, turn signal switch, turn signal cam and springs.
The Cylinder, Turn Signal Cam, and Springs are the high wear items. The Turn Signal - not so much. It can be rebuilt (carefully) with some White Lithium Grease and move good as new. It should only need to be replaced if the contacts go bad.

BTW - Replacing the Turn Signal Switch is a PITA. You have to disassemble the connector at the base of the steering column, thread the wires through with a string, and then (make sure you take notes and label before hand!) get the wires back in the right spots in the connector. (This assumes that you didn't damage any pins taking the connector apart - if so, then you enter a new type of hell...)

Is the wiper switch built into the lever assembly?
You don't want to go there until you have to. Just taking the lever out of the assembly can break other parts (now old and brittle) inside the column. The lever snaps into the wiper switch assembly, which is really pricey and you have to dig even deeper into the column to replace that.

You still may have to replace the wiper switch and/or lever in the future. I realize you don't want to get into the column a second time, but... it's an old car. You'll never be able to avoid it. There will always be something.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 AM
Save the manuals!

I have the how to guides
Even the Jazzman guide?

Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
... Just taking the lever out of the assembly can break other parts (now old and brittle) inside the column. The lever snaps into the wiper switch assembly, which is really pricey and you have to dig even deeper into the column to replace that.

You still may have to replace the wiper switch and/or lever in the future. I realize you don't want to get into the column a second time, but... it's an old car. You'll never be able to avoid it. There will always be something.
Actually, the wiper switch is entirely contained within the multi-function lever which snaps into the turn signal switch. The wiper switch/multi-function lever is about $125 on Amazon (GM part number 25140743) and can be replaced without getting into the column at all. Simply slide off the small black trim cover behind the lever so that you can access the wiring connector, disconnect the wiring connector, and remove the lever with its pigtail.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Even the Jazzman guide?
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, the wiper switch is entirely contained within the multi-function lever which snaps into the turn signal switch. The wiper switch/multi-function lever is about $125 on Amazon (GM part number 25140743) and can be replaced without getting into the column at all. Simply slide off the small black trim cover behind the lever so that you can access the wiring connector, disconnect the wiring connector, and remove the lever with its pigtail.

Yes I grabbed the jazz man yesterday.

Thanks for the replies, I'll roll with those 3 and just tackle the others as wear dictates
Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Every time I dig into a saginaw column I check the pivot pins. I've had to get special oversized pins for my current column. I also cut a coil off of the tilt spring to take some of the pressure off of everything since there were signs of the spring retainer cap deforming and simultaneously digging into the collar. It's always worth inspecting everything while you're in there.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Yeah I have that weird tilt issue where you can pull the steering wheel and column down 2 inches to the left. I'm hoping it's just those 4 loose screws.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Only the cruise control switch and the variable wiper control are contained in the lever. It is very easy to change (theoretically) and is what I'm warning about...

That lever fits into the wiper switch, seated in the column. This piece has the socket that can get brittle and break. One needs to take the column apart to get it out.

^ The wiper switch is activated in this piece and the contacts engage as the turn signal rotates. There is then a linkage that connects this assembly further inside the column to the turn signal switch.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I have that weird tilt issue where you can pull the steering wheel and column down 2 inches to the left. I'm hoping it's just those 4 loose screws.
It's never loose screws. Your pivot pin holes are probably egg shaped. When you open up the column don't be surprised if rotating it on its side is enough for them to fall out.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
It's never loose screws. Your pivot pin holes are probably egg shaped. When you open up the column don't be surprised if rotating it on its side is enough for them to fall out.
Never seperated the column before, are the pivot pin holes apart of a plate that can be replaced or would I be sol.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Never seperated the column before, are the pivot pin holes apart of a plate that can be replaced or would I be sol.
If the pins fall out without using the pin puller tool then you need to order the oversized pins. If you need to use the puller to get them out and they go back in with a little tension you can get away with just staking them using a punch or small chisel. The dealers would stake them 3 times before they could get the column changed under warranty.

There are a few special tools you need to rebuild a saginaw column. Steering wheel puller, lock plate removal tool, some snap ring pliers (I actually have better luck using 2 flat head screwdrivers), pivot pin puller and something like a 1/8 extension to compress and release the tilt spring. You'll also need a random assortment of torx bits.

Don't forget to tape off the clockspring when you pull it so it doesn't spin too much. No sense damaging a part that's hard to find.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 1999 Z28 (i.e. high mileage 235k DD) and I just had the steering column rebuilt at Hawks Motorsports in SC this week. I would highly recommend them since they both have the specific expertise and a lot of low mileage spare parts that you may need once you get in there. My steering wheel also did that 2 inch pull to the left. Basically the part of the column where those pins are was totally trashed on mine.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OwieVT
I have a 1999 Z28 (i.e. high mileage 235k DD) and I just had the steering column rebuilt at Hawks Motorsports in SC this week. I would highly recommend them since they both have the specific expertise and a lot of low mileage spare parts that you may need once you get in there. My steering wheel also did that 2 inch pull to the left. Basically the part of the column where those pins are was totally trashed on mine.
Oh nice, I'll keep that in mind, did you drop the car off or just send in your column. And how much did it run?
Old 12-20-2018, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

I live in Virginia. I drove down the day before and got there first thing in the morning and they fixed it while I waited. To be honest, they prefer that you drop off the car since they don't really have a waiting area. They were quite accommodating for me. Mine took ~5.5 hours since they also had to tear down a used column to get the parts that were needed. Normally for them to rebuild the column is ~4-5 hours of labor. Their hourly rate is $80.

I should add that I can only say good things about Hawks. They know 3rd/4th gen F-Bodys and I highly recommend them.

Last edited by OwieVT; 12-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

clocksprings are NLA from GM....fyi.......be careful with it